or Connect

Posts by Callimom

We are in the thick of it. I will do 150 quarts of tomatoes this year- about 1/3 of the way there now and have 2 more bushels which I will get to tomorrow. Have frozen blueberries, strawberries, sour cherries, rhubarb, peppers and pesto. Missed raspberries unfortunately. sigh... Canned about 50 jars of jam and will do more peach jam and maybe a round of blueberry jam. I'd like to try grape jelly this year. I have 2 bushels of peaches which are ripening in my...
How did your week go? Did the manage to have money and food left at the end of the week?

Accessories for her doll are fun - simple clothes, a sling, diapers, a quilt and pillow, sleeping bag etc. She might like a matching pillowcase dress - one for her, one for her doll   Adventure bag (just a messenger bag) with a bug collecting jar, magnifying glass and a small sketchbook or field guide (and a promise of a hike).   An art carryall  - there are tutorials all over the web- they basically have a place for crayons or pencil crayons and a sketch...
:)  Thanks! It comes from years of feeding a family of 6 on not much money. It's a bit of a game lol. I don't know that there is much of a thought process to share. I keep a well stocked pantry and freezer almost completely stocked on sale, and figure out how to make the most of meats which tend to be the priciest element of a meal. So I looked at her list of what she had in the freezer and figured out what recipes would give her one or two meals from each of those meats...
Happy to help!     
Coming back to add - if you need to stretch more than 7 days I would: make a vegetarian chili and use the ground meat to make meatballs which can be used in a pasta dish or to make meatball sandwiches (great on the bagette recipe with a side salad), reserve some of the sausage to spice up a pasta dish if you don't need them all of the apple sausage salad, buy a bag of potatoes and make a meal of baked potatoes with toppings: (chilil, cheese, broccoli, sour...
  Is it safe to assume you have some basic pantry items for baking and things like oils, vinegar, spices etc? Do you have enough rice for 2 or 3 meals meals? Are you feeding your husband lunches each day? Are your kids needing to take packed lunches to school yet? You have lots of meat, beans and grains to plan meals around and should be able to get away with just buying mostly veggies and dairy.  ( this list would cost me about $50 here so hopefully it works with your...