or Connect

Posts by Callimom

Quote: Originally Posted by Bluegoat ...one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made. Who, for us men and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under...
Has anyone been a part of a UU coming of age ceremony (in any role?) Could you share what it was like? I am wanting to plan something for my 11 year old to happen in concert with his 13th birthday so I have some time but I want it to be meaningful. I found this but it is a bit short on details. tia Karen
We had a Shakespeare Festival near us 2 years ago and so we did a lot of stuff around Shakespeare, his life and work. My kids were 8, 6 and 4 at the time. We watched Shakespeare Animated Tales dvds from the library, listened to Jim Weiss, read a lot of retellings - Bruce Coville did some of our favourites, read some of Lois Burdett's books. We managed to see a couple of productions - 2 geared for kids and 2 of the original works and the kids did a couple of their...
Quote: Originally Posted by LauraLoo Uh oh...... can I ask why? The teacher's manual consists of what pages to read out of which of the living books, and what experiments to do from the kit. The progression of the reading in the books didn't make sense intuitively and we only bought one of the kits which was very expensive for what we got and could have easily been put together from simple household supplies. I'm in Canada so it's even...
Quote: Originally Posted by moominmamma Teaching Textbooks Algebra I/II. Way too incremental, slow-paced and simplistic for my kids who were veterans of Singapore Primary Math. Good to know. I looked at that one and was considering it for down the road. Man it is expensive.
Tossed: ~ Noeo Biology - good thing it was used and cheap ~ Ordinary Parents Guide to Reading (Interestingly Teach your Child to read in 100 easy lessons which I wanted to dislike on principle is working really well for my kid with reading challenges and my other two want to do it too - go figure.) ~ Lively Latin - just didn't engage my oldest but might work for a future kid.
We are relaxed almost unschoolers. I have 7 - almost 8 y/o twins Math Miquon/Singapore - I expect we will transition out of Miquon at some point during the year. Lots of living math and playing with Hands on Algebra. Language reading: explode the code. I am also working through teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons with my struggling/dyslexic kid and expect we will need more formalized help. Not sure what that will look like yet. spelling: we do...
My guess is that she is overwhelmed by her own kids and probably can't imagine why you would choose to do what you are. Given what she has shared with you, she may also have the idea that you shouldn't do something for yourself if you can pay someone else to do it. Homeschooling probably takes that to the extreme for her. I wouldn't worry too much about it. My guess (hope?) is that she's a rarity. Karen
Quote: Originally Posted by LilyGrace On grades: We have two here - know it or not yet. If he doesn't know it yet, then we spend more time on it until he does. The traditional grading system is great for public schools and their mindset. It lets them know the ranking of each student in the class and how much of the material they've mastered - the goal isn't to get them all to 100%, but to get them to a passable level. We have no need of that. An...
How old is she? Are there other tasks you could do that would practise the same physical skills? Perhaps legos, dressing polly pocket dolls, colouring, using tweezers and playing operation board game, tracing tactile letters or shapes? What does her therapist suggest? Is the exercise physically painful or very mentally taxing? Can you modify the exercise so that she can choose what letter to write and do it without your physical assistance? Honestly, I don't know...