or Connect

Posts by bearandotter

Oh and I should hope your prenatals contain heavy metals.... It would be terrible if they didn't. Iron is a heavy metal. So is manganese. Both should be in your PNV.   I love how 'fear phrases' can be used to scare people. You should tell your OB that you make sure you get your essential heavy metals each and every day.  Of course, mercury, plutonium, and lead, the 'other' heavy metals are preferable to avoid in your PNVs :)
a bit off topic, but related. I am upset by the trend I see in Midwives using A1C tests for gestational diabetes. YES it is now one of the main tests for diagnosing type 2 diabetes, but since it tests the average over 3 months, and because gestational diabetes appears relatively suddenly (not slowly over years like for type2) even if you have full blown gestatational, the A1C could be normal (since your averages from the past would bring the number down). It has NO place...
If you follow hypnobabies you are actually led through creating a 'real' bubble of peace in your mind. You can pick the color, the sound, how you feel in it etc and build on the imagery so that you can go there as needed. I find it very helpful when I feel anxious for any reason (pregnancy hormones make me anxious about weird things like driving) - but a couple deep breaths and I can go to this place where the negativity (outer and inner) cannot come.   So the BofP...
interesting thread. I think it is so true that people are *mostly* trying to sort out their own experiences or prevent you from their dissapointment when they offer such advice.   One of the only things I have taken away from my hypnobabies-training (I am a flunky who falls asleep instantly when I turn on the recordings) is the Bubble of Peace. I choose and tell myself to surround myself with the positive thoughts of my pregnancy and how I want my labour and delivery...
  I wore a bravado nursing tank and a yoga style knee-length skirt (cost about 15$ from Motherhood Maternity) during birth of both kids. Didn't care if skirt had to be cut off or had to be thrown out. Allowed me to be as comfy as wanted in any position. I GUESS it wouldn't allow for easy epidural placement, but I had no plans for that. I had the nurse put in a saline lock for my IV so no problem getting unhooked to change shirt if I needed. I will wear same thing again...
I am currently pregnant with number 3. I have 2 little girls already. I will have 3 kids under 4 for a few months. Our first are 16 months apart, and while difficult, I love having them close in age. This one will be 27 months younger than #2 and for me I think this is perfect for us.    We always thought we would have 2, but my partner and I realized that there is someone missing at the dinner table. I cannot describe it better than that, but both of us feel that...
lots of great suggestions in this thread. One I didn't see:   Don't change into a gown, you CAN wear your own clothes (no matter what the nurses say). I think that wearing my own skirt and tank top during labor reinforced that I was myself, in charge, and not a sick hospital patient. I think the nurses and other staff saw my clothing and it reinforced/made them realize I was not a 'typical' laboring woman. I was able to be discrete and comfortable to walk the...
Hi -    I really love the Curly Purly pattern for wool covers. They have a great waistband that stays on great. They seem to fit longer than other patterns because of the unique strechy waistband. I have converted that basic pattern into longies easily. I'll come back to add a link with suggestions on how to do this if I can find it. 
There are some awesome crochet cover and longie patterns too! doesn't even have to be super tight or you could mildly felt your crochet to tighten it up. Most of the knitted ones are done in the round so you just knit around in circles, very little purling required. Plus the are for pee and poop, so the odd mistake really won't matter!
I knit my own knit covers and longies (wool pants that go over fitteds). I can make one for about 5$, which sure beats the 40$ish price tag retail. I love the curly purly patternhttp://www.curlypurly.com/soaker.html.