or Connect

Posts by bearandotter

I am a family nurse practitioner (whole lifespan) but my career has focused on women's health and antenatal/perinatal health. I am now doing a PhD in nursing with a focus on women's experiences of health and illness. I like to think I work under the umbrella of a midwifery model of care, providing families with solid information about what is known/suggested and then supporting them in their decisions. Having been a provider for a number of years providing prenatal care...
mmmm... ice cream   How about this 'junk food":   Chick Pea Crunchies   Pre heat oven to 375' Rinse a Can of chickpeas (bonus for low sodium ones) or grab some cooked ones from the freezer (I do several lbs at a time in the slow cooker and then freeze on a tray and then throw in a bag) Toss chickpeas in ~1tbsp oil and either 1) pinch of salt and some garam masala or 2) 2tbsp maple sugar and 1tsp cinnamon Throw onto a cookie tray, better if parchment or...
Ok fine, I'll give you that some doctors (and I assume you mean physicians trained in allopathic/"western" medicine) don't know a whole lot about herbs. But honestly, the research on RRL is NOT supportive of its supposed effect. There have been some studies that find it actually relaxes the uterus and has no effect on length of labor, length of pregnancy, or anything else. One rat study showed that the female offspring of RRL using rats had precocious (early) puberty. A...
Oh and MayasMama I'm curious what material you were using that didn't offer any support? You do likely want something that has a bit of diagonal stretch - which would be a looser plain weave like a traditionally woven cloth (Mexican rebozo) or a woven babywearing wrap or a pashmina. A twill or denim won't have diagonal stretch and will be difficult to 'mold' to your body to offer good support. Because of the diagonal stretch you might even find gauze fabric feels more...
I wrap my belly all the time for SPD and tailbone pain. I think you will do better if your fabric is NOT stretchy. A traditional rebozo is about 2ish yards long. What women in the US/Canada commonly call rebozos are often nearer to the 3-3.5 yard length and also works AWESOME (if not better). Sarongs also work awesome (folded in two widthwise) as would any 'pashmina'esque scarf.  Here is my technique:   Place middle of fabric at middle of belly - ensure it covers...
 Ha ha. My DH says that when the body pillow comes out to help me sleep it acts as The Great Wall of Separation.      We got a 4x5' rectangular bean bag chair for DDs birthday. If I make a depression in the middle it supports my body and a I can comfortably rest on my tummy. I think I might try to sneak a nap on it this afternoon/.
We have an Odyssey. LOVE IT! (though shhh, only a year ago I swore I would never become a minivan mom). #3 is still baking, but the plan is: 3 1/2 year old in back front facing (still rear facing now) with the seat removed in front of her (passenger side captain seat out). 2yo rear facing middle driver's side. Infant middle of middle row. Then everyone is facing each other and they can have a party in the car.   Then I can throw baby into seat and ensure 3 yo is...
  I'm sure you kids have done well without constant babywearing, please don't feel judged. In part, I babywear so much because I have such a bad back (ruptured a disc a while back plus some postural issues). I find wrapping is my only way to get through the day. 5 min with a baby in my in arms and I think I am going to cry. It truly is going to be the perfect unique solution that evolves for each family.   And as for the cooking thing - there is a spectrum to what cooking...
mmmm RRL tea. Just picked up a big bag of leaves this week. I like it strong and iced. A couple frozen raspberries thrown in for a touch of sweetness (and it just seems fitting). I agree with pp'ers about safe dosing, but I personally start with one cup a day at around 20w and slowly work up to about 4 cups by 36ish weeks.
I babywear A LOT and am a strong believe in the adage "nine in nine out' for how long they should stay very close. Hasn't stopped mine from being able to self soothe and fall into a blissful sleep with very little assistance. True you likely should not be using a hot stove with a baby on the front, but you can do a lot of prep. I also wrap my babies on my back from 2-3 months. I am a devotee of woven wraps - which I find to be the most comfortable and flexible for...