or Connect

Posts by bearandotter

Bet this conversation would not be happening on another parenting board! (Yeah for us)   This is like picking a thread on a sweater - thanks Sweet Huck for that.    I am a nurse doing a PhD, my thesis is on women's experiences of illness and illness narratives. All of these topics swirl in my head. We speak about how the nursing profession is shaped by sociocultural constructs and I see in my own research how everything is impacted by gender and our many layers...
of course.... It would appear team-green-ies is as much about a philosophy of child rearing for some as it is about looking for penises on blurry u/s screens.    sweet huck - thanks for the link.    Our u/s is tomorrow. Really hoping we don't see the 'bits' (DH is a physician with an interest in radiology - if he isn't looking away he will be able to tell) and also hoping the radiologist doesn't put it on the report. In previous pregnancies I did not have this worry as it...
We had a crib in a 'nursery' even though we room share for at least a year. It is very convenient for changing diapers on in the highest position (we didn't ever have a change table). Also nice so that you can occasionally put the baby down for a nap (the nursery is right off the main living area, close to mommy, while our bedroom is a bit of a distance away.    We certainly have never gone overboard on decorating. I made some inexpensive cotton drapes to aid with...
Im a hypnobabies flunkie. Bought the cds listened to them as required, fell asleep 2min into each and every session. Never learned a thing. Didn't use any of it in my labour. 2nd time around did the same - and same outcome - nada.... But many people swear by it. My MW only agreed to take on an aspiring hypnobirther if I promised not to feel guilty if labour didn't go as planned - I can see her point there is so much build up about no pain and easing your way through and...
So true and thank you all for speaking to the gender topic. I do hate using the word 'sex' for its connotations, wish there was another one that worked better.... And some, including a close friend who identifies as transgender, would argue that sex isn't clear cut either.   I've found "pink washing" an incredible thing to fight. I try to buy as much orange and green and red as I can for my girls, but my mom and MIL LOVE to send copious amounts of pink our way, and I...
Teeth are optional. My kids didn't get their first teeth until 13 months (same with their daddy). We Baby Led Weaned with both and seriously they are EVERYTHING with those sharp little gums. Either sticks or slices of softer foods (avocado, cooked veggies, fruit) or small chunks of cheese, or meats. By ~10 months they ate all that we ate - from indian curries to lasagna.   But I agree with PPer. Breastmilk is for nutrition up until about 12 months and 'food' is for...
  Yes! Definitely this. I can lather my DDs in sunblock, go out for a couple hours and they come home with 'farmers' tans. Makes me feel like a horrible mom, but I recognize it is due to their skin coloring. DH has about 20 shades difference between his lower arms and his belly (which never sees the light of day!). I'm sure if we were living in India my girls would be a whole different color (but with crazy light hair from the sun). We hope to move there for a year once...
  It is free for Canadians    Not sure why this is a vaccine discussion. There is no vaccine for Hep C. I'd get tested if I were getting bloodwork for something else (I have had testing, since I am at high occupational risk, having worked at a innercity street clinic where a huge # of my clients had it and I had a fair number of bodily fluid exposures).    I do agree with the blurb on the liver.ca site being offensive. Hep C could have been transferred from a surgery,...
Here is a link to a great ~20min meditation audiocast that is all about connecting with your baby. It is #45 on the list and there are lots of other awesome ones on the list too.   I listened to it last night and it was a great experience. I plan on using it a lot in the next 20 weeks as I found it so relaxing. Could be a coincidence, but I swear baby was dancing along to the nice music near the end. 
Woke up in a panic last night. We *think* that we will send our DDs to an all-girls school. If this is a boy it will be a logistical nightmare to have kids in two schools. I was convinced at 3am that I had to find out the gender asap so I could deal with this problem (umm... you know, since it will be important in 6 years). Once morning came it became clear that waiting an extra 20weeks will not change the outcome (nor is it actually important, or something I can...