or Connect

Posts by bearandotter

Thanks everybody for input.    Curiously I have enjoyed the book as my interpretation is that it is more encompassing/encouraging of multiple positions/latches/etc than what is commonly taught (though all while tipped back on mama's sitz bones I guess). I hate how in the several nursing degrees and numberous certification courses in BFing I have taken, one is taught 'the right' latch and the 'right' positions. Even gurus like Dr Jack Newman advocate for a singularly...
To respond to your questions:   1- A Pouch can be safe if you ensure good positioning and are alert to your baby at all times. I just did a longer response on this exact question here.   2: Baby Bjorn: cons: baby dangles from crotch, weight pulls on wearer's shoulders, front facing out, cannot use on back, baby won't fit for long. Pros: available, used are cheap   Ergo: cons: many knock offs out there (make sure it is safely stiched, etc... be alert to 'too...
I don't think pouches are a complete no for a newborn. You just need to ensure the fit is good (for you) and that you are very very aware of positioning and the baby's status at all times. I like the TICKS acronym:   Tight: Baby is hugged close to body. No slack in fabric allowing baby to slump In View at all Times Close Enough to Kiss Keep Chin off Chest: Atleast a finger width seperate Supported Back: If you put a hand on their back the baby does not uncurl...
I had a 16 month old and a newborn. It was hard to keep an eye and give attention to the 'big' one while BFIng. Here are some tips that helped:   -Basket of 'special' toys/books to be played with beside you or at your feet while you are BFing. Played with only then so that they remain special. -Basket of prepacked snacks and water bottle for your 'big' one kept where you BF. Mine ALWAYS got thirsty/hungry as soon as I got baby latched. -Learn to BF in a ring...
anyone conciously follow this BFing model/practice/theory?   Before kids I did a lot of formal education and teaching of BFing in the standard 'western' upright style.    In retrospect over time I assumed a more laid back BFing position with my first 2. My first was a wee little thing and we had major mouth/nipple size issues so I BFed in a more upright 'standard' position, but gradually started to do what worked better for us. With massive oversupply with my...
Bravado Bodysilk Seamless have removable 'pads' that are excellent for hiding the nips. They are amazingly comfortable, good stretch, and look decent. The pads they have are molded foam and don't show like most nursing pads. They slip into a pocket so don't fall out every time you lower the cup to feed. I have some that have lasted almost 4 years with frequent washing. Highly recommended!
Hi Everyone,    So glad to see this thread.    I'm white, verging on clear, of Irish/Scottish background. DH is from South India and looks as one would expect someone from India would. Incidentally this makes us both caucasian. He likes to say so we are a bicultural, bicolored, but monoracial family. We have two DDs (almost 2, and 3) and are expecting again end of June. Our DDs look like twins - med-brown hair with red highlights, chocolate eyes, and latte skin....
To start, my story. I wanted to find out the gender of my first, but DH convinced me it would be fun to wait. I really loved looking down at my little (5lb2oz!) newborn and discovering I had a girl. We both were happy to wait with my second and are waiting again with #3.    I have 2 girls and many, many people ask it we are wanting a boy. I have zero preference (though publicly tell people that if it is a boy, even if I dye all the pink clothes blue poor thing is...
For the few of us here that are waiting to find out the sex of our little ones until the big day, lets chat......   How about sharing how you came to the decision, how you think of your baby without a gender-based pronoun, what you plan for your baby to wear in the first few days, and how you deal with the relentless questions about what 'kind of baby' you are having....
I think the whole not sleeping on your back things is hogwash propagated by well-meaning, but not evidence based, websites and resources. Women with rare, specific health concerns (peripheral vascular disease is one that comes to mind) may be told by their HCpractitioner to stay off their backs, but otherwise your body will inform you what you need. If you wake up with numb or swollen legs then perhaps you do need off your back, but if not, you are good for whatever. I...