or Connect

Posts by Katie Gardner

I have really curly hair and I wish somebody would have told me how to take care of it. The only way I can brush my hair is wet and with a wide toothed comb. When I was younger and my hair was longer, it had to be brushed wet and loaded up with conditioner. Then it can't really be messed with until it's dryish. Curly hair is a blessing/curse. When she gets older, try layers in it. When I did this just a few years ago, it changed my life. Hope this helps. If someone would...
Do you mind me being blunt and inquiring about the cost? 
My 6 and a half year old son went to the doctor today for the first time in a long time and was charted on the "growth chart" for the first time. His BMI is 18.2 (height 48 inches, weight about 60 lb). His doctor reported to us both that he is overweight and needs to lose some weight in the next year. So, I have been noticing that my son has a belly that looks a lot like mine. Otherwise, I would not have said he appeared overweight.   We hike, take walks around the...
Just bumping this to see if there are any updates from the OP or any others who have looked into and/or used the ALF or other holistic orthodontics. Also wondering about the cost of these services.
I am still very interested to know others' experiences, resources, advice, and information related to tooth crowding in young children.   My 6 year old son went to the dentist last week and he expressed being "very concerned" about my son's tooth crowding in his lower teeth (he's lost 3 bottom teeth so far and has 2 grown up teeth growing in. he's lost no top teeth yet). The dentist suggested orthodontic evaluation and possible extraction. No one in my immediate...
Thanks for the update, Nicks Mom!
I'd like to bump this because my 6 year old has significant lower tooth crowding, his dentist is suggesting orthodontics with possible extraction, and I am interested to know others' experiences with less interventive approaches to this problem.   Thanks!   P.S. Also interested in ALF, cranio-sacral, nutritional, and other alternatives to surgery.
Thanks for your support! My husband had REALLY crooked teeth (and 4 horrible years of orthodontics causing untold amounts of pain, frustration, dentist-anxiety, and TMJ), so I do think there's a strong genetic element there and I agree that one generation of healthy eating habits doesn't cure a few generations of very poor nutrition.    I also don't expect nutrition to cure his crooked teeth, but he's still so young and has so much growing left. That's why I ask...
My 6 year old went to the dentist today and the dentist, whom I tend to trust, expressed being "very concerned" about my son's teeth being to close together. Asa has lost 3 bottom teeth, but only 2 have come in and those are very crooked. The dentist suggested pulling teeth and orthodontics. I am scared to death.    Nutriotionally speaking, I breastfed him for 2 years and foods were introduced very slowly. Since then, his nutrition has been above average, but not...
IMO, your first priority should be to find a community. You can't do everything all the time forever without friends to talk to, help you out, cry to, laugh with, and be there for you. i mean you probably could do it all, but your other relationships (husband, kids) will suffer. I would start with trying to find a homeschool co-op that you click with. Mine has done wonders for me and the kids: physically, mentally, emotionally, socially. Then, after a while if you get...