or Connect

Posts by KellyandKatie

oooo okay- so later on I just was thinking beads, and each mama could have her local support add to her bead collect and help her string her own.  I will pester again in a few months
Maple trees would not bleed themselves out too much.  The holes from the taps start to heal over before the season is even over.  The trees that I am tapping are hundreds of years old, they are strong and mighty beings.  I have one young one that is only maybe 70 years old or so.  One tap per tree is not going to hurt them. They are lucky trees that are a blessing to us, and the life cycles they support. Our trees have names, we care a great deal about being good...
no no no no no shaving - they need their hair they go and fight packs of coyotes, they need that thick fur to protect themselves shaving dogs, even city pet dogs screws them over, they can not defend themselves from parasites and the sun - even if it is not protecting them in wild animal fights   LGD hair often looks pretty rough- it is a very important part of their job though to have a strong coat their coat blends in with their stock too- its a pretty big...
I am looking at propane - because it does not go bad, ever, and I can run several systems off of it.  It is one option we are kicking around.  We have a zombie stove already, a wood stove we use to heat our home, and can also cook on.  But we have a lot a lot of meat in our deep freezer, so it is a big deal not to let that spoil.  We live out here, so we loose power pretty often.  The system I am looking at is more for on and offs, a couple weeks at a time, not as...
What direction are the boxes facing?  Are they facing into the wind, sun, etc?  Do they have cozy out of the way place, or are they by the feeder/waterer? Are other birds roosting in them at night and pooping on them?   have you tried one box with hay, one with shavings?  One facing one way, another facing the other way?  Have you tried covering the boxes partially- or hanging scraps of fabric from them to make a sort of curtain? ummm   my bet is on what...
I posted pictures on my site sprouthillfarm.com and on my farm's facebook page too https://www.facebook.com/SproutHill   I will be updating more tomm when we boil down just today we harvested 5 gallons of maple water from our four trees- that is awesome- for reference, 5 gallons will make about 1 pint of maple syrup :D
I have two dogs right now.  Vanity is 13, she is our house dog, she is a ridgeback boxer from Hawaii, and she has earned her bed by the fireplace.  In her younger years she spent enough time on the farm - she is amazing with stock, in that she is safe around bouncing baby lambs (ignores them) and just stays clear out of any pastures or fences- she ignores the pultry and generally does not want anything to do with any of the stock at all.  She will be introduced to the...
Does anyone know the best way to organize a bead exchange for our due date club?  I so want to do one, but have not done one here, or seen how it was done
So... I have had two home births and two hospital births, all 4 were great births.  We just assumed I would have this one a homebirth too. I have not really talked with DH about how seriously I am considering not doing a homebirth though. He would prefer I not, but really knows it is my vote. He has made several bribes trying to joke me out of doing one.  But on a serious note.  When I was selling the idea to him 7 years ago that homebirth was safe, I said it was about...
COOL!  it is great to see folks DOING what they dream up to DO!  Way to rock!