or Connect

Posts by dharmamama

I have taken a several-month break from MDC and I have realized that I don't wish to be a part of the MDC community anymore. I wanted to say goodbye and thanks to everyone who supported me so much in my struggles with Desta. Desta and Ramona are currently at a camp for kids affected by or infected with HIV. Efram and I are spending the week hanging out together. Next week Desta goes back to school and the little kids and I will get back to our routine. Best of...
Dr. Bronner was not a Mason. He was just ... unique? Mentally ill? Both? Besides, considering that they are an organic, free-trade company, they are about the best product you can buy. I wouldn't ditch the product due to the weird packaging ... dm
I would start sending Chloe's food with her. Tell your parents that she is not to eat anything but what you send. Explain to them that you are sorry to be so strict, but they don't seem to be respecting your parental choices for your child. You might add that you are sending food along so that Chloe can continue to spend time with them, but if they continue to violate your wishes, they will only be able to see her at your house. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by Crunchy*VT*Mom Once Upon a Child has great prices for BUYING clothes I think this is true if you are looking for nice clothes for your kids. If you want everyday clothes, there are way cheaper places. dm
Dh did help her do it last night. We use the basement for storage and so we only sporadically remembered that it needed to be cleaned up. When we did, we would remind Desta that it needed to be done and she would say ok. Then she wouldn't do it and I'd forget about it. After they joked about it yesterday, they decided to do it together. But Desta is also 13, so there's no reason she couldn't do it herself. She may not have wanted to, and I understand that, and I...
I wouldn't even consider making my kids "pledge" something that they don't understand. The very thought creeps me out. I choose not to pledge my allegiance to this (or any) country because to me that feels a lot like saying "My country, right or wrong." I will not ally myself with this country or government when it is doing something I am opposed to. dm
I have tried to sell stuff there before and I don't think I have ever been successful. I have a friend who tried to sell stuff there. Most of the stuff they wouldn't take, but they did offer to keep the things she brought in and donate them to charity. A few weeks later, when my friend was shopping there, she found a bunch of her "rejected" things for sale. dm
Well, things kinda fell apart this weekend. Dh and I went to the Indianapolis 500 (which is a tradition in my family, this was my 24th race and my dad's 64th consecutive race). My MIL came from WV to watch the kids, and she brought my niece, who is 11 and a good friend of Desta's. I had high hopes for this weekend, because Desta was doing so well and she was so excited to see Grandma and her cousin. Grandma reported that Desta was irritable and bossy all weekend. I...
Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, who does the Food for Thought podcast, addresses this many times in her episodes. Basically, what she says comes down to this quote of hers: "Don't do nothing because you can't do everything. Do something. Do anything!" dm ETA: I see in your signature that you babysit. Do you get paid for this? If so, you could use your babysitting money to buy some things you could use to make veggie meals: beans, grains, fruits and veggies. Try to stay away...
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama dh and I also agreed to these pets knowing that she's a kid and that they'd be essentially our responsibility. We have seven animal companions. ALL of them are dh's and my responsibility ... in terms of making sure they have food, water, and regular veterinary care. We also make sure to give them all lots of love and attention, above and beyond what they get from the kids. However, we do expect that the...