or Connect

Posts by dharmamama

Dh and I were just discussing this with Desta this evening. We have been asking Desta for several weeks to clean up some places in the basement where her cat pooped. She doesn't want to do it, so she hasn't. When she came to us this evening and asked for a job she could do to earn some money, dh told her he would pay her a dollar to clean up the cat poop. (He was joking, btw.) The hitch was that if she accepted the deal, she had to do it today, or he would dock her 10...
Quote: Originally Posted by rootzdawta If you haven't personally interviewed every single Amish person to verify this "fact", it's a stereotype. No it's not. What you're suggesting is equivalent to saying it's a stereotype that factory farmers abuse animals, because maybe a few out there don't. On the whole, factory farming consists of a core group of practices that generally don't vary. From what I have read about Amish farming practices,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero Stereotypes are great, aren't they? I have recently been doing some reading about Amish farming and animal husbandry practices. I was surprised by what I read. I had always thought that the Amish practiced respectful animal husbandry, but many of the things I read about which are considered standard Amish practices are anything but. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by Hippie Mama in MI He just gets a beef craving now and then. He should listen to some podcasts by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, who does Food for Thought. She talks about how, since we are not true carnivores, we don't actually crave animal flesh. We crave flavors and seasonings (which come from the plants we spice things with) and textures (which can be replicated with non-animal-flesh items) and the familiarity of...
Quote: Originally Posted by wednesday where food prices have skyrocketed I don't think that food prices have skyrocketed, honestly. I think that they have gone up, yes, but I don't think they have skyrocketed. I think we are in the beginning of a long-term change in things, but not necessarily in the beginning of an emergency. dm
My six year old is like this. She has big ideas and lots of them. I make sure that I channel things, to some degree. If she announces a project, I talk with her about how she plans to accomplish it and whether we have the necessary materials. Sometimes we do the project. Sometimes we do something different. Sometimes she loses interest in the discussions and runs off to find something else to do. You don't have to let your child wander aimlessly from one unplanned,...
Quote: Originally Posted by HikeYosemite Sometimes DH and I have taken to choosing a spot and asking the kids if they want to come Sometimes we do that, too. Dh and I will say, "We want to go to Amar. Would you like to come along?" Honestly, I consider that inviting the children along on our trip, but even then at least one kids views it as an invitation to debate about where we should go. If we answer that this is Daddy's and my trip and we are...
I think it depends entirely on how and how much your kid likes to read. A friend of mine gave me her old Sonlight. We would never used it because a) it's entirely too religious for us and b) I didn't like the way you read little bits of lots of books rather than one book at a time. My kids would HATE that. Besides, we're unschoolers anyway. dm
Last night Desta got hugely annoyed with dh for something that was relatively minor. She snapped nastily at him. I said, "Desta, I know you're annoyed, but please don't speak so rudely to Daddy." She said, "Ok. I'm sorry Daddy." And she really meant it. I could tell by her voice. Later she said, "I shouldn't have gotten so mad about that." I said, "Well, everyone gets mad. I get mad easily sometimes, too. We just have to remember not to be snappy with...
It's true in our house. When I called dh at work to tell him about all this, his response was "Ewwww ... I don't need to hear all that!" dm