or Connect

Posts by dharmamama

Quote: Originally Posted by Ksenia IME, bribing doesn't work with my kids if it involves delayed gratification. My kids are fine with it (although, as I mentioned, I don't routinely bribe them. I think once before I bribed Ramona when she had to get stitches in her lip, and I think that we once bribed Efram when he had a medical issue). I'm also not sure "bribe" is the right word. Maybe it's a reward. But it's not based on cooperating, it's just...
Well, first I thought it might hurt like hell because it's all swollen up with blood (Ramona says she can feel her heart beating in her finger, and she thinks it's cool), but also it could end up getting infected under there. As it stands, her fingernail will probably end up falling off, and I don't want her to then have a nasty, bulging blood blister that's exposed (mmmm, nasty bulging blood blisters ...) dm
So Desta and I spent all afternoon talking like valley girls. We said "like" as often as we could. Desta locked me in the basement. I threatened to cut up her soccer shorts (which were drying in the basement) if she didn't let me out. (Yes, this was a joke and she knew it, because she then threatened to pee on my bed if I cut up her shorts; the cat peed on my side of the bed the other day and I didn't know it until I lay down in it.) It was silly. It was goofy. It was...
Thanks, mm. The main reason I took Ramona to the doctor was because of the massive blood blister under her nail. I was thinking that they might have to drain it. We have to go back in a few days so they can check to make sure it's not getting infected under there. Looking back on the donut situation, I can see where I could have done things differently. Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. Anyway, I bought the kids some tofutti cuties this afternoon at...
Do y'all have county extension agents out there? If so, call yours and ask about local farmer's markets. They might know of something. Here's a list of farmer's markets in Camden, Glouster, and Salem counties. Here's the original link. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by Lillian J it would never have entered my mind to negotiate with him about getting to a doctor - it would have been a matter of simply going. Well, we WERE going to go, no matter what. I wasn't negotiating, I was just trying to sweeten the deal. But Ramona can and will kick and struggle if she doesn't want to do something, and I dislocated my shoulder recently and I can't haul her off her loft bed if she won't get...
How about gluten-free pasta with tomato sauce? Gluten-free cereal with nut milk? Reheated black bean soup? Baked tofu? Rice cakes with pb? You can also stay in a hotel that has a microwave. You could even splurge for one of those "suites" that has a mini-kitchen.
"Organic" has nothing to do with how the animals are treated. It's entirely about how they are fed and medicated. In fact, Horizon, one of the largest "organic" dairies is under a lot of fire for the fact that they keep their cows on feedlots that are basically the same as the CAFO (concentrated animal feeding operations) of non-organic dairies. "Free range" or "cage free" eggs mean that the chickens aren't in battery cages, but they can still be packed 100,000 to a...
Ok, here's the situation (yes, I stole that line from DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince): This morning Ramona slammed her finger in the car door. I wanted to take her to the doctor because she developed a huge blood blister under her nail and the finger turned bluish-green. I was afraid it was broken (it's not). Ramona, of course, did not want to go anywhere. She just wanted to lie in bed and suck her thumb. In order to get her to go, I bribed her (which I am not averse...
Quote: Originally Posted by ziggy dharmamama - Just of curiosity, how do you speak with your oldest about vegetarianism if she eats meat? I tell her what my spiritual beliefs are and that I believe that animals exist for their own purposes and not to serve humans. I tell her that I believe it is wrong to kill animals, and I tell her that I believe factory farming tortures animals. It's not like we talk about this every day. We only talk about...