or Connect

Posts by dharmamama

Quote: Originally Posted by Oceanjones She has no interest in anything besides the social aspect of school. I don't think that's unusual for a kid her age. I certainly wasn't interested in school in 7th grade. I got good grades because my parents threatened to ground me if I didn't. But I certainly wasn't burning with academic desire at the time. I think many of the reasons that you gave for being concerned about your daughter are reasons I...
Quote: Originally Posted by boatbaby So be ready for that and give them the freedom should that day ever come. I wrote about this in your other thread. We teach our kids that eating animals is morally wrong, and I don't think that veg*n parents have to or should give their kids the "freedom" to participate in the torture and killing of animals. I recognize that parents can't control what their kids eat when their kids are away from them, but...
Quote: Originally Posted by Ks Mama And I'm concerned by eliminating a lot of foods from their diets I think this is part of the problem. If you perceive being vegetarian as limiting, it's going to be hard for you. My two younger kids have been vegetarian since birth/adoption at age two. (My oldest came to us at 11 and is not vegetarian.) My husband and I are vegan. We eat vegan foods at home. I don't feel that we have eliminated a lot of...
I don't think this is about a certain girl just "not wanting to play" at certain times. This is about deliberate snubbing and ostracization. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by ewe+lamb Or would you just get along and cook meat and fish until they 'join' us? My dh and I are both vegan. Our 13 year old is not vegetarian (she came to us at age 11). I do not cook animal flesh for her, nor do I buy it for her to prepare for herself, nor do I allow her to purchase it herself and bring it into the house. She is welcome to purchase it herself and eat it elsewhere. I do not "go along to get along."...
I came to veganism from becoming Buddhist. I have been vegetarian for 16 years and Buddhist for 4 (although I like to say that I have been Buddhist my whole life and just didn't know it until I read about Buddhism) and vegan for 10 weeks. For me, realizing the connections between human and non-human animals and really seeing animals as fellow sentient beings and not just "awwww ... cuuuute ..." really underscored for me how I needed to take the next step to decrease...
Since this seems to be an ongoing problem that involves multiple girls, I would say yes, invite other families to participate in a way to deal with it. I think it could be framed as a "growing up" issue ... you know, now that the girls are entering the 'tween stage, there are things they need to learn about and be aware of. Make it something exciting for them to discuss. Invite the girl who is doing the snubbing and excluding ... maybe she will see herself in the...
I was just folding the clean laundry and there was a bunch of Desta's underwear in it and it reminded me of this thread, so I thought I'd update. Overall, things are going much better around here. The attachment therapy has really helped both Desta and me. Our relationship is better, her behavior is better, my reactions are better. The last few times Desta has had her period, she has washed out her underwear in her bathroom and then taken it down to the basement and...
I am vegan so obviously I have strong feelings about this. I would be honest with my kids. I think that children deserve to know what it is they are putting into their bodies. If they are asking questions, that is the time to start giving them the correct information. If I were a non-veg*n parent, I would simply say, "These cows don't give milk because they are being raised for people to eat. Hamburgers and steaks are made from cows' bodies." I think a lot of people...
I give my kids Kal Dinodophilus. They love it. dm