or Connect

Posts by dharmamama

Quote: Originally Posted by rightkindofme There were a few teachers in my department where I wouldn't want to have my kids sit through their version of talking about rape or sexual assault. Yes. My daughter was being bullied in the classroom of a clueless first-year teacher who was 22 years old. Her advice to my daughter? "Sit in the back of the class so that the bullies don't see you." Um ... yeah. I'd definitely want that teacher...
Quote: Originally Posted by queenjane For example, you equated sending your child away from you when you are making dinner (because he's badgering you) as punishment Because I have been told, repeatedly, by RUers that it is punishment. Quote: your example above (about son waiting until the last minute to not want to go to the appt)...i dont know many RUers who would say "oh ok, we won't go, brother gets to do what he...
Quote: Originally Posted by anne+arun do these goals really have to be counterposed? No, they don't. But that doesn't mean I twist myself in knots to make sure my kids get to do what they want to do. If my kid waits until we are walking out the door to his sister's doctor appointment to say he changed his mind and he wants me to get a babysitter, the answer is "Sorry. It's too late." Nor do I expect my kids to accommodate everything I want....
Well, I was referring to this: Quote: Parents shouldn't have to consent to just anything the school wants their kid to learn. That is abdicating responsibility as a parent. I wasn't equating dissection to rape. I was agreeing that Quote: Parents shouldn't have to consent to just anything the school wants their kid to learn. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by Teensy But there was a big to do in my state a few years ago when a college adminstrator referred to a group of childen as "yard apes" - she was forced to resign from her job becuase of it. Apparently this phrase also has racist connotations in some circles That reminds me of another college administrator who was forced to resign after using the word "*****rdly." Some people thought it was a racist word and remained...
I was just at the dentist (holistic dentist) this evening getting two old fillings replaced. I told him about this conversation. He laughed and said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet." dm
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla Ah, but is "punishment" the same thing as "logical consequences"? Ask 10 different people on MDC and you'll get 10 different answers. I think it's a lot of semantics, personally. Or at least it gets made that way on MDC. The conversations that split hairs over what's natural consequences/logical consequences/punishment get a little ridiculous, imo. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruthla I suspect that most parents drawn to USing would also be drawn to GD (gentle discipline) because of the underlying core values of trusting and respecting the child. Our real-life homeschool group is comprised of many unschoolers. I don't know any (myself included) who don't occasionally punish (or whatever the scary word of choice is). Around these parts, unschooling seems to be an academic thing. dm
My six year old hates crusts. I do not cut them off for her. She eats up to them and leaves them. Then she puts them out for the birds. Your daughter's crusts are not going to save starving people. I gleefully cut the tips off carrots and the ends off celery. I'm not wasting food. It's not enough to make a difference. Maybe over my lifetime it would equal something, but no one survives on carrot tips and celery ends (or bread crusts) anyway. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by rightkindofme Parents shouldn't have to consent to just anything the school wants their kid to learn. That is abdicating responsibility as a parent. : Your whole post was very well stated, RKOM! dm Ps. We also opted out of dd doing dissection last year, because dh and I feel that raising and killing animals for children to dissect in science is wrong. The school was happy to honor our request and find an...