or Connect

Posts by dharmamama

Quote: Originally Posted by queenjane Sending your kid out of the room for wanting to use the computer, rather than helping that child and other kids in the family come up with workable solutions to avoid the problem in the future, doesnt really help Yeah, but I have to say that it always rubs me a bit the wrong way when people suggest working to avoid the problem in the first place as the solution to the problem ... as though I am thick enough...
Quote: Originally Posted by Arduinna interesting that 68% said no. Well, this board is heavily populated with radical unschoolers, so I am not surprised at all. Quote: I was thinking most specifically of things like bedtimes, chores, and food issues....and i think those are definitely about trust (whether you trust that your child will sleep when they are tired, eat when they are hungry, and eventually help around the house w/o...
While I can't say I would never censor reading material (I have with my youngers on occasion), I do think that by 14, most kids are ready to choose their own reading material and handle what they read. That said, last year, when my oldest was 12 and newly arrived from Ethiopia, I did opt out of a book her class was reading in 6th grade. Knowing my daughter and her history and her then-current emotional state, I didn't think that reading that book about that subject...
We are unschoolers with a math curriculum. My daughter told me when she was just-turned-5 that she wanted to learn to use an abacus and to "do math." Because I am not uber-creative or mathematically minded, I bought RightStart. Both my little kids love it. Of course, we also use a phonics curriculum ... Explode the Code ... because my daughter requested "reading workbooks." My daughter loves math and numbers and is constantly asking me math-related questions, counting...
Yes, it is, because some families practice unschooling as an educational choice and not a whole-life lifestyle. ETA: I don't see my role as a parent as that of someone who helps my children find ways to do the things they want to do. I see my role as someone who helps them learn to live cooperative in a family and in society, and sometimes that means not doing things you want to do or doing things you don't want to do. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by lachingona1 This leads me to believe brushing twice a day as we have been told all our lives is not the answer. IMO....it is mostly in our diet. Our (holistic) dentist tells us that it is the synergistic effect of brushing, diet, and genetics that account for dental health. You can have genetically great teeth, but if you eat Ho-ho's and drink Mountain Dew and never brush, you can get massive cavities. You can have...
I wonder whether the differences in people's opinions on brushing teeth being mandatory is more a difference in parenting style or more a difference in how getting dental work done is perceived. Personally, I am of the "some things are non-negotiable" style of parenting, but also, knowing my 6 year old as I do, I know that it would be far worse for her to endure dental work than it would be for her to be "made" to brush her teeth for 90 seconds twice a day. My son is...
There certainly were times when my daughter was little that she didn't want to brush her teeth. We worked with her, trying different positions, different toothbrushes, and different toothpastes. What it came down to in the end was oral/sensory issues. Brushing her teeth is unpleasant for her no matter what. But, because we have always insisted, it is simply something she does. I don't hold my kids down. I don't have to because tooth brushing is something we just do. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by delly What I haven't gotten into the habit of is a flouride rinse I would avoid that! My parents did that to me, it stained my teeth, and I was teased mercilessly by other kids. As and adult I finally got my teeth bonded because they were so ugly. The fluoride in water and toothpaste (if you use fluoridated toothpaste) is more than enough. We use unfluoridated toothpaste and my kids have never had cavities. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by queenjane i'm pretty shocked that everyone thinks that the right thing to do. You've been around here for 4 years and you're still "shocked" that people would requite toothbrushing? dm