or Connect

Posts by dharmamama

Yes, I do. My kids are young enough that the idea of cavities and dental work is extremely abstract compared to "I-don't-want-to-right-now." I don't want them to suffer for their ignorance. Besides, if they need dental work, they aren't the ones who have to pay for it ... dm
The teeny tiny amount of gas I'd save wouldn't be worth the hassle to me, but if it works for you, go for it! dm
Heck yeah I'd do it! I could save/invest the $800+ dollars a month that we currently spend on a mortgage and pass that on to my kids if I wanted to. dm
I am not an RUer. But my understanding of RU is not that kids get to do whatever they want and trample on other people's rights and feelings. Honestly, were I in your situation, I would simply say to my son, "I have tried to problem solve with you and you don't seem interested. Dh and dd and I chose to problem solve, and this is what we came up with. We'll try it for a while and renegotiate later if it's not working for you." dm
Quote: Originally Posted by Katie Bugs Mama you knew that you had a medical condition that made it unlikely that you would live to see them grow up? No. I know that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow, but if I were fairly certain I would die while my kids were young, I wouldn't have kids. dm
Quote: Originally Posted by mammal_mama I guess my children are unique: They picked up on all the colors without any need for me to consciously teach them, or control in which order they were introduced. Exactly. Had I restricted my daughter's access to art materials in the way this book commands, 99% of my child's extremely creative works never would have been created. I find Susan Striker's ideas about how children should be guided...
Quote: Originally Posted by kathymuggle If Dh is determined that the kids go to school for the remainder of the school year, then he must have some of the resposibility for getting them there, and dealing with the fall out. I know this is hard for many families due to work issues, but there you have it. I think it is unfair of your DH to have a plan that no one but him agrees to and is causing such strife - but expect you to fully implement...
The only thing I took exception to was having our views labeled "prejudiced" by someone who admits she has not read any of the sites. It's the whole idea of "guilty until proven innocent." Don't call me prejudiced if you haven't even read the sites and have no intention of doing so. dm
I think part of the problem is that when people try to sell the idea of unschooling, they frequently do it by pointing to kids who have done very unusual things (such as starting their own business and becoming a millionaire by age 14, or becoming the ambassador to Tahiti). We therefore get the idea that if we unschool, our kids will do all sorts of unusual things. When we are faced with the reality of our kids doing usual things, it can 1) be a bit of a let-down and 2)...
Quote: Originally Posted by mackysmama The Water Horse by King-Smith, Dick My kids, 6 and 5, LOVED this one. Stay away from the movie, though. It COMPLETELY ruins the story. Quote: A Bear Called Paddington by Bond, Michael I tried to read this one to the kids but the language is very odd and they were not interested at all. Quote: Pippi Longstocking by Lindgren, Astrid A...