or Connect

Posts by Zirconia

We very much enjoyed babywearing throughout DD's babyhood, with the Maya wrap, ring sling, and Ergo leading the pack.  Then, around the time she started walking, we started using the stroller more.  Now, at 20 months, she's developed a very short tolerance for the stroller, and gets tired with too much walking, so I'm back to doing a whole lot of carrying!  My soul loves it, my body... not so much.   The Ergo is OK, but it's not helping me for long carries.  DD hates the...
dbsam, yikes!  My husband had a balcony in his childhood home (a large stately old home with high ceilings).  He says his standard way of coming down the stairs was to flip over the balcony, slide down the spindles, dangle there a minute, then drop to the floor. :)   My DD isn't a daredevil - it's really not her, it's me.  The balcony gives me vertigo, and it's hard enough for me to relax when she's sleeping alone in her room in our current tiny apartment - how will I...
How do you babyproof an interior loft or balcony?  And do you ever reach a point where you stop worrying about your kids (or their friends) climbing over the railing and falling?  Is there any way to extend the railing higher so it's monkey-proof?
Ditto the above suggestions.  We have a sleigh bed with a bulky frame, and it works great.  One tip:  We used a ratcheting tie-down strap from the auto-parts store.  Hook one end to the frame of the crib (under the crib mattress, in the center), run the strap between your mattress and box spring, and hook the other end to the bottom edge of your mattress.  That way, the setup will stay nice and tight.  If you just hook the bed frames together, your mattress can slide and...
I found the "No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers" book helpful at this stage.  My DD isn't that all over the place, but she still (at 18 months) rarely naps without being latched on, and I wore her in the Ergo for naps until she got too heavy.  Some days she sleeps more (or better or worse) than others.  I totally feel your frustration with feeling trapped all day!  It's like that at my house too, which is why it looks like a pigsty.  Hugs to you!   What was HUGE for...
Oooh, those velcro strips look awesome!  And I saw some cheap blank canvases on sale yesterday.  That might be the ticket!  So far she hasn't messed with anything (she just cries for me when she wakes up, and I go straight in).  But, in the event she did decide to enjoy her freedom, I imagine I'd hear velcro ripping over the baby monitor.  :)
Hi all, I am setting up a Montessori-style bedroom for my 18-month-old.  I'd like to put some art on the walls, down at her level.  How do I babyproof this?  I'm thinking of doing some of the paintings myself, so I could make them however I needed to (paint on plywood and screw it to the wall?)  If you're hanging more conventional art or decorations, how do you secure it to the wall so baby can't pull it down?   PS - We live in a rental, so I need stuff I can remove...
  Just wanted to add, you're right (at least in my experience) that a bedtime routine is worth nil if the baby isn't sleepy!  For us the bedtime routine just winds things down so that when baby is tired, she's more likely to cooperate with going to bed.  It doesn't work any magic, but it might allow you to catch an earlier sleep window.  And I will add that in the past 3 months, we have seen a huge response from DD to the bedtime routine!  She now points to her bed, or...
The short "family" evening time is tough!  My DH gets home around 5:30-6:00 too, and it's often stressful with DD getting tired and me trying to get dinner on the table.  We usually sit straight down to dinner as soon as possible (if I haven't already fed her).  Then DH handles most of the bedtime routine, giving DD her bath and reading sleepy books in her room until I come nurse her to sleep.  Some days they only get an hour or so together in the evenings, but it's a...
Of course, as soon as I brag in a post, DD's sleep goes to hell.  :)  So much for 8-9 hours.  But still, the fact that she WANTS TO GO TO BED is just so new and pleasant!   Last night, she had a wakeup around 11:00.  I was ready for bed myself, so I just went in to get her to come cosleep.  And - I couldn't believe this - she actually clamped her arms to her sides so I couldn't pick her up!  Then pointed to her bed, and nodded when I asked if she wanted to lay back...