or Connect

Posts by Zirconia

I wonder if she's ready to cut down to just one nap?  My daughter has never been a great sleeper either.  She's 18 months now, and it seems like we went through a rough patch with bedtime around 12-15 months, with way too many nights of her wide awake at 10pm!  She was learning to walk around then, and teething madly, and it seems like she was just on overdrive.   We survived it by reducing to one nap and being very strict with the bedtime routine, moving it earlier...
After eating in certain restaurants, my husband and I both get severe insomnia, as though we drank a pot of coffee.  A "wired" feeling - sometimes we're up most of the night.  There's one place in particular, an expensive local place that everyone always raves about.  I try not to eat there, but since it's so "fabulous," my in-laws like to host meals there for out-of-town guests.  Sometimes I can squeak by on a grilled cheese and cup of soup, but most of the time...
This is so fascinating!  My 18-month-old had one, but I can't remember the last time I noticed it - either it's gone or has just been eclipsed by all the bumps, scrapes, and toddler battle scars.  :)   She's not one for sweets, and has always slept poorly and been a little high needs.  So far I can only find one article about "sugar bug" babies - do you have any other resources?  Here's what I've...
My 18-month-old is in a size 3.5 or 4, but her 19-month-old friend wears a 5 or 6, I think.  My daughter was born with the longest feet I've ever seen (people in public used to comment on them), but now they're on the smallish side...  guess she grew into them.  :)
Yes, get a recliner!  We lived in ours for almost a year, including many nights.  I would wedge a buckwheat pillow tightly under my elbow, so I could cradle-hold her and totally relax my arm and body (and even sleep) without any chance of moving or dropping her.  When she was super tiny, DH and I both spent many hours in the recliner with our knees up, and baby propped on our laps so we could gaze at each other.   The exercise ball is a close second - I spent lots of...
With 18-month-old DD, we do library story time, Kindermusik, and occasionally toddler playtime at a local gymnastics center.  I have seen a big change in her in the past couple of months of regular attendance - she's more attentive to the group activity, less clingy, and more likely to participate in the little structures (like putting away her seat mat, or going up front to get a sticker or an instrument).  She's also mimicking the other kids and walking up to them and...
For 18 months now, I've repeatedly seen the suggestion to put your bed (or your child's bed) directly on the floor.  For the longest time I dismissed it, because we enjoy our "real" bed in our room, and the baby's room doubled as a home office so she needed to be contained in a crib or pack-n-play.  And then here I'd come, desperately reading all the "horrific sleeper" threads and nearly dying of sleep deprivation.  We cosleep the second half of the night, but the first...
FWIW, my baby was curled up like a peanut after the birth, and she couldn't stand to lay flat on her back at all.  For the first 4-5 weeks, what little sleeping I did was on the sofa, with her nestled in a swing pulled right up beside my face.  By the time she had straightened out enough to lay flat and we both moved to the bedroom (with an arm's reach cosleeper), I had healed enough to scoot down to the foot of the bed to get out.  (ETA: I had a pelvic separation during...
Gooseberry, I padded underneath the crib mattress to make our sidecar exactly the same height as the bed.  That way I can scootch in there to nurse, then easily get back to my own sleeping space.  It's like one big giant awesome bed!  I sleep pretty close to the crack between the beds, so that DD can't crawl out of the sidecar without crawling over (and waking) me.   If you want it different heights, I'd make it a couple of inches lower.  The Arm's Reach Cosleeper is...
Those of you with floor beds - how do you travel?  My 17-month-old has a floor bed in her room, and she is TOTALLY OVER sleeping in a pack-n-play.  We are visiting my parents, and I'm trying to create a floor sleeping nest for her and looking for options.  [It's not feasible to put the entire guest bed on the floor, and the bed is waaaaaay too high for her to sleep in there without me.]  Anybody have any great products or tips for portable toddler floor beds?  Anybody...