or Connect

Posts by Zirconia

Thinking about setting up my 17-month-old in a floor bed.  She hates cribs - always has - and after spending hours each day trying to transfer her without waking her (and failing, and repeating, and failing), it just seems like time to do something different. We have temporarily downsized to a small 2-bedroom apartment, and it's chock full of stuff, so I've been resistant to this idea due to the massive amount of reorganizing and babyproofing we'll have to do if she...
PS - My DD doesn't nap well, either.  We're working on independent napping - I still can't put her down in her bed, but right now she's asleep beside me on our bed, not nursing and not in the wrap.  That's a big improvement!  Hugs to you - I understand the total lack of time to yourself!  People whose babies are good sleepers have no idea what we're talking about or why we don't have time for chores or hobbies!
No, you're not the only one!  My DD's sleep went to hell at around the same age (5 months), right about the time she rolled over and we stopped swaddling.  She woke up about every hour until probably 14 months.  I thought I was going to die.  Now, at 16 months, it's getting MUCH better, like miracle better.  She goes down around 8:00 and almost always sleeps 3-4 hours, and sometimes she doesn't wake until 3:00-4:00am!  We are down to 1-2 wakings most nights, plus a...
Just saw this thread.  Same thing happening here!  My 16-month-old is suddenly a total whiny mess.  Very clingy and just generally unhappy.  The whining is driving us nuts, it's always the same note - sometimes I find myself humming along with it in order not to go insane.  :)  Very clingy to Mama, and we're going through a fairly rough phase with DH - she cries for him to hold her, then as soon as I take the opportunity to do something exhilarating like cook dinner or...
Yes, we're looking for a regular sized crib.  The mini-cribs are cute, but they can outgrow them pretty quickly.  Some babies sleep in a full-size crib from the beginning, and some babies get overwhelmed and prefer to be nestled someplace smaller (a bassinet, cosleeper, Moses basket, whatever) until they get a few months older.
That is great advice, tbutton - I've thought of it at least once a day since you posted, both with baby stuff and general life stuff.  Thank you!
Tbutton, thank you! That's encouraging! I guess I'm having trouble seeing the path from here to there, but maybe it'll become clearer as my daughter gets older? I wish we had more space - the crib/PNP is a thorn in my side (she hates it so we go through this long nursing-rocking routine to be able to put her down). But her room has to be part home office, so we can't babyproof it enough to switch to a toddler bed or floor mattress. We're house shopping and eager to...
Thanks! I wanted to add an update. Since moving DD to her own room for the first part of the night, she's sleeping her longest stretches ever! Three nights she slept until 4am (unheard of at our house), and routinely she does a 4-5 hour stretch! Yahoo! And bedtime has gotten MUCH easier - it seems like creating a nook with her bed, music, books, and rocking chair really clicked the bedtime routine into place. And DH and I LOVE the freedom in the evenings. Now I'm...
I can't wait to try this!  It's healthy for everybody.  On an added note, sometimes my DD has these marathon midnight nursing sessions and just can't seem to drop back off to sleep.  When I remember to offer her water in a sippy cup, she gulps it down and often goes back to sleep much faster.  The kid's just thirsty!  Now to teach her to grab the cup herself and not wake Mama...   Thanks for posting - hope things continue to go well!
We bought our daughter a Pillow Racer for her first birthday, from Target.  It's a stuffed ladybug (or other animal) with four plastic casters, like office-chair casters   http://www.target.com/p/little-tikes-pillow-racers-ladybug/-/A-14048465?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Google_PLA_df&LNM=%7C14048465&CPNG=Toys&kpid=14048465&LID=PA&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14048465   But I love the other suggestions - they look really cool!