or Connect

Posts by Zirconia

Have you had her examined for a possible infection?  Before assuming she's purely self-stimulating, I'd make sure she doesn't have a problem that's causing vaginal, urinary, or rectal itching.  Or a skin sensitivity.  Just to be thorough!
This is so helpful! As an update, we have only made a few changes thus far: To start with, I came up with a cosleeping compromise that's been a small miracle. She starts the night in a pack n play then cosleeps in a sidecar after I go to bed. I moved the PNP to a different room and set up a nook with her rocking chair and bedtime books. Suddenly bedtime is SO much easier! We've always had a routine but the special space really helps. And, DH and I are ecstatic to be...
What's your all-time Winning Recipe?  You know the one... Everyone loves it, it's frugal, it's fairly easy (or freeze-friendly), and it's so healthy you feel like you're wearing a halo when you serve it.  Share your recipe so we can all be so virtuous!  :)   Here's one to start:     Sweet Potato Chili   1 large onion, diced 3 sweet potatoes, cubed 2 zucchini, diced 2 cans black beans, rinsed (or 1 1/2-ish cups dried beans, precooked) 28 oz diced...
I love feeling my baby close and warm against my chest - it feels like that's where she belongs.
My daughter wouldn't sleep in the Arm's Reach until she was a month old and her spine straigtened out. She hated to be flat on her back, which makes sense after being curled up for 40 weeks! Until then, she slept cradled in a swing that I pulled right beside the sofa about a foot from my face or she slept in my arms. I seem to remember celebrating sleeping in my own bed again, with her in the cosleeper, around week 5.
Yay! So glad you all had fun! She sounds like a regular little water bug!
Thanks mamas!  From what I'm hearing, it sounds like for most kids, 14 months is still "very much a baby," but not to be surprised if DD starts making changes on her own, or starts seeming ready to change.  I especially appreciate the advice to take "awkwardness" as a signal.  I wanted to check in because I wanted to be sure that my parenting wasn't holding her back.  We both still find nursing very satisfying.  And the napping-while-held arrangement is only a pain when...
Hmm, I never worried about leaks and spills (but just saying that probably sentences me to baby diarrhea)  :)  I've seen forum posts about wool "puddle pads" made out of old blankets, but I've never tried it.   Good luck with your sidecar!  I really think sidecarring the crib is what helped me finally make peace with my nightwaking baby!  No more fighting to transfer her to the crib, and no more cramped shoulder from cosleeping in a too-small bed.  Not only that, but...
You absolutely can! As I mentioned above, we love our side car. Here's what it looks like:
My DD is 14 months old, and I've been feeling very conflicted ever since her first birthday.  We have had a very intense routine from the beginning - she naps while being held or worn, and she breastfeeds throughout the night.  When she was a newborn, ,it felt normal.  Now that she's entering toddlerhood, I'm starting to feel like some of these habits are getting a little old.  In part, I'm feeling pressure from family - even DH says things like, "Well, she's a year old...