or Connect

Posts by Zirconia

Has anybody used crib toys to help your LOs soothe themselves to sleep?  Do they work?  If so, any recommendations?   For the past year, all attempts to get my daughter to fall asleep in her crib have been dismal failures.  She also takes a long time to nurse to sleep, sometimes an hour or more.  Lately, I've noticed that she's finally taking a bit of interest in a lovey - she's not a big soother (doesn't rub it or suck her thumb, etc), but she will wave it around...
Nursing lying down is wonderful!  You lay on your side with baby facing you, with one arm tucked under your head (especially to keep your pillow away from baby).  You can nurse both breasts without moving - just lean forward a little to access the "upper" breast.  But my daughter had difficulty learning to nurse, and I didn't really get the hang of side-lying nursing until she was about 6 months old and sturdy enough to lay beside me without rolling toward me, and she...
Hillary77, your guess is all I can come up with too. The holidays certainly involved lots of new and rich foods for both of us. After doing some more research, my new mantra is "Please don't let it be chocolate, please don't let it be chocolate..."
Hi mamas, i've been a frequent poster here- DD (almost 12 mos) has always been a crappy sleeper, waking every 2 hours or so, and more often if teething or her tummy's upset. I didn't think it could get any worse, but it has! For the past couple of weeks, it's like she can't sleep at all. She wakes, nurses a bit, pulls off and rolls away and gets comfortable. 5-10 minutes later, she rolls. Then tosses. And turns. Then within a few more minutes is whining and crawling...
Do older babies *need* milk?  And by "milk," I mean any kind of milk - breastmilk, formula, goat's milk, cow's milk, almond milk, etc.  Should I be giving her some type of milk to drink with her meals instead of water?   My almost-one-year-old still breastfeeds several times throughout the day and night, and that'll continue for a while.  But do I need to be encouraging more milk/cheese/yogurt?  Do they need the calcium from dairy?  And if we want to minimize cow's...
Those of you with paperless kitchens...  how do you launder your cloth?  Do you have separate wipes for hands/faces, counters, etc?  Or can you just have a big basket of multipurpose cloths that all gets washed together?  That would certainly be more convenient than having separate cloths for different purposes, but I'm wondering if it's sanitary.
These all look yummy! Thanks!
Another couple of thoughts:   Seems like at your house (and mine), "If baby ain't sleeping, ain't nobody sleeping..."  As silverring said, maybe you and DH could do more tag-teaming, rather than both being awakened and zonked out.  Split up the night, or give each other 3-hour shifts - ANYTHING to get you more than an hours' stretch of sleep.  What about a mattress in DS's room?  You could take turns being "on duty" in there.   ETA - I just re-read earlier posts...
Other posters have mentioned encapsulation - have you looked into that?  It involves steaming the placenta with Chinese herbs, then dehydrating it, grinding to a powder, and filling gel capsules.  I had mine encapsulated by a local doula - she came after the birth and picked up the placenta (snuck it out of the hospital under her coat!), and two days later she came back with a jar of capsules and some gorgeous artistic placenta prints. The capsules have no flavor - I...
Veggie burgers... "Meat"-loaf... Spaghetti with "Meat"-balls...  what are your favorite vegetarian recipes to replace ground beef?     We are slowly progressing to eating less (or no) meat, and these dishes are big time faves at our house, so we need good, healthy, homemade substitutes!  Thanks!