or Connect

Posts by LittleCapucine

As the child of extreme parents myself (in the crunchy direction), I feel like the balance I've struck comes from hard-won insight. I believe in avoiding extremes and knowing the time and place for everything. We don't own a TV, but I have played movies I've picked and downloaded for my five year old specifically for airplanes, long road trips, the long line at the post office, and very sick days since she was 18 months old. It is rare, therefore, but it is not never. It...
That afterpains are full blown contractions during nursing with subsequent babies...and to pee before nursing and lay a full hot water bottle on your lower abdomen while nursing to keep them tame. Have chapstick and a hairtie around during labor. That postpartum elation is also a real thing, and equally hormone-driven as the depression flavor. That milk letdown can be toe-curlingly painful, so if the baby seems latched well and then two minutes in it hurts, it could...
In France, the official rule is a little wine is fine during pregnancy. I was startled to find that out; it highlighted for me that culture was playing a role as well as research. As an aside, in France mothers are admonished never to eat unwashed unpeeled fruit (like an apple) because of toxoplasmosis (or is it listeriosis?). I scoffed that off and ate apples in front of shocked people, later to learn that the rate is indeed high in Europe because there is a lot of cat...
Old thread...but great inspiration for me, thanks all!
Sympathy. My newly-five daughter is always irrational around her big birthday growth spurt, but my gosh... this year she's sullen and moody and gives us the silent treatment at the drop of a hat right now, multiple times a day. It is almost exactly like a fifteen-year-old. I'm avoiding saying 'no' or 'don't' at all this week to avoid showdowns, she's just a total wreck at the slightest correction. We took her out of her new Montessori preschool to ease off stress, and...
I wanted to follow up on my initial post for those of you reading now. This post is detailed, for the worried mamas who are going to come after me in search of help. In brief - last week my eight-month-old intact baby boy woke up with an alarmingly swollen, obviously infected penis oozing pus. (It had looked a little red on the outside the evening before, and I decided to keep an eye on it.) I took him directly to his doctor, who gave me a prescription for oral...
My baby boy just turned 8 months, and woke up this morning with his penis extremely red and swollen, and was clearly miserable. I took him immediately to his doctor, who ordered an antibiotic and ointment and said to come back in the morning for a recheck. His comment 'this is why people circumcise, if it doesn't get better we may have to' is making me wary. He has me giving sitz baths with epsom salts frequently, no diapers all day, and a cloth at night, and above all...
My baby boy just turned 8 months, and woke up this morning with his penis extremely red and swollen, and was clearly miserable. I took him immediately to his doctor, who ordered an antibiotic and ointment and said to come back in the morning for a recheck. His comment 'this is why people circumcise, if it doesn't get better we may have to' is making me wary. He has me giving sitz baths with epsom salts frequently, no diapers all day, and a cloth at night, and above all...
I hear two questions here: 'How do I take care of my home now?' and 'Should I give my baby a pacifier instead of letting him nurse as much as he wants?' You are always on safe ground offering the breast over a pacifier. There is no drawback. My first baby never had a pacifier, was in the 90th percentile, and I eventually kept the house tidy. With my second, I recognized that it is a tool. If I would give a finger to suck, a pacifier served the same function. So I bought...
If I only had one, it would be the Moby for the front carrying year. The Ergo for the back carrying year. No way on the Beco. A mei-tai for front carrying if the Moby isn't your speed. I've been lucky enough to have all these, people gave me a mei-tai and Ergo and Moby so I got to try them all out. I'm revisiting now I have my new little guy. I love the Moby above all others for long walks; the way it molds the baby weight into my own is by far the most comfortable thing...