or Connect

Posts by zinemama

Lisa Belkin is not mom enough. A good response to the Time article.
You could make a contribution to a charity that supports mothers in her memory.
I rarely come here anymore but saw this thread. It all comes down to one thing for me. The site redesign. It's awkwardly laid out, difficult and annoying to read, full of ads or pseudo ads (the "reviews"). The new look is painfully horrid. Aside from the mass exodus of people who were fed up with the over-moderation and the mass exodus of people who hated the redesign, I honestly don't think much has changed here. Except that people can be a little more honest with each...
For older kids - but also for you to read now to get some ideas on explaining stuff - a terrific book is What Is God? It describes how people throughout time have tried to answer this question, talks about the various teachers they've looked to for answers, and the books they read. It puts the question in a very universal perspective which I found very appealing and useful. Someone gave us The Family Story Bible (which is where my kids learned the stories about Jesus)....
I don't really understand the question. If you know your kids do better getting to bed at a certain time and you've seen that it doesn't work out when you don't do that, why are you looking for a way to fix what doesn't seem to be broken? Why not just keep putting them to bed at the usual time?
I don't see a problem with it, either. The Bible and the stories in it have a huge place in Western culture and knowing them is part of being a culturally literate person. References to it and quotes from it are everywhere in history and literature. People ought to know something about the Bible, no matter what they believe. (I'm Jewish and tend to agree with what you say about the teachings of Jesus, although I certainly don't think all denominations of Christianity have...
The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander. It's a five-book series. First one is The Book of Three.
If the 9yo is old enough to ask, she's old enough to get an honest answer from you. And if she's asked, it's because she's been thinking about it on her own for awhile, so the truth probably won't be as big a deal as you might suspect. As for your younger dd, if she's still a true believer, I would enlist the older one to help keep the magic going. Confide in her that you still want Santa to be a fun thing for her little sister. Maybe tell her she can help write the notes...
I think it's a valid question, too. I'm not in the 6-figure income realm, but I consider our family to be firmly in the UMC by virtue of education and values. I don't particularly care whether or not my children grow up to know about fine wines or how to figure out an Italian menu. I want them to have the confidence to ask for assistance about things like that when necessary. I consider it extremely important for my kids to be well-read by the time they are adults. I want...
Definitely the Three Investigators. They are far, far better than the Hardy Boys! Many libraries don't have them anymore, but you can find them for a couple of bucks each on Abebooks or Better World Books.