or Connect

Posts by Indian summer

Thank you for all of your help. I don't have much musical training and when I see brilliant music teachers working with my kids I'm in awe of their experience and intuition. I do get it. I don't know what I don't know. I'm going to take some time to think about it. We do have one activity ending, so if I'm serious about switching things up, adding a challenge, I should probably just call a teacher and jump in.
We've already done some guitar lessons. And mandolin and piano. I was leaning toward violin because of a preference for smaller instruments for smaller hands and this weird sort of gut feeling/dreams/coincidences despite a long held aversion to the idea. And because I'm told the music reads like piano which is somewhat familiar already. Will have to give the whole idea some more thought. I'm not thrilled about making another outside commitment right now. But maybe I'll...
I'll start by saying that we aren't unschooling ATM. We used too, but it worked better for some of us than others. We still take an unschooling approach to some things, with some kids... I've been feeling like my kids are needing some inspiration in the form of seeing mom (or dad) struggling to learn something completely foreign, and maybe working together. And I'm feeling like everyone is needing a nudge to attempt something fresh and challenging - hence my violin post....
What measures 24"? That would be from neck to mid palm when arm is outstretched to the side - I thought that's how one measured for violins, but I see your point that doesn't take into account finger length (in this case short and short- ha). Okay, so get fitted by a pro. Got it. We don't have a teacher - we were going to play around with an at home program (theviolinbook.com *miranda cringes*)and just have fun with that without the pressure of real lessons for now. I'm...
Should have added @Miranda in the title. Would love your thoughts on this. We have two beginner violinists in the family. One measures slightly above 24" one measures 1/8" shy of 24". Can we buy a full sized instrument for the two to share? Will that 1/8 " make a difference? The one who is just shy of 24" won't be growing (shrinking would be more likely - ha!) Renting is not an option. And where do we start In selecting an instrument? We have no dreams of playing in a...
We sometimes take rabbit paths like this and listen to and discuss more contemporary stuff. That is fun. We watched a doc about Glen Gould recently that was interesting. No biebs fans here, but I cringe at some of the stuff the kids choose to listen too, usually picked up from some Disney tv show. This sort of compare and contrast exercise could be fun and help them to be a bit pickier about what they add to their collections.
Thanks for all the excellent ideas. We will probably try some combo of all of them! I like the idea of a choir. Have no idea where to find one other than a church, but will ask at the local music store. And studying classical musicians is something we started, and then sort of forgot about but the kids were enjoying it, so we could resume that. Will think more about piano lessons. Miranda, do you have any specific app suggestions? We have iPad and ipodtouch.
She is 11. What does she do in her singing lessons? I'll try to answer but I don't have a musical background so I'll do my best. Scales, stretching her voice a bit at a time, as the teacher feels she can. Sight singing exercises. She works on different kinds of songs. Learns about different kinds of voices. Learning to sing with and without accompanying melodies and harmonies (not sure if that will make sense to anyone but me, ha! Teacher takes away the melody instrument...
Dd11's voice teacher is going on "mat leave" for six months, just as dd is having some wonderful breakthroughs and coming out of her shell. I am hoping to find a way that dd can not lose the momentum she's got going. Dd is very self directed in her studies and spends more hours practicing than is necessary because of her enjoyment and perfectionism. She's been out of piano lessons for over a year, but continued to play a lot and is applying the note reading skills from...
Saw some chatter about them on another thread, but don't really know who they are. Anyone know their stance on unschooling?