or Connect

Posts by Indian summer

Dd7 loves math. She is using JUMP grade 2 workbook and will do 10 or 20 or even up to 40 pages in one sitting. She never seems to need my help, she just reads the directions and does the page. Does this mean it isn't challenging enough? Should it be about challenge at this stage, or just repetition of math facts so that she memorizes her addition, subtraction tables? Or are those exercises more than just busy work, can she be learning something (important patterns,...
Has it moved or is it gone?
So many things going on here. Dd10 is on an academic kick. She's been working her way through sequential spelling, Rosetta stone French, art and journaling. Dd6 is also on a spelling kick and started sequential spelling too. She's also spending a lot of time training the dog and doing karaoke. Both girls are also on a dance kick. Ds12 along with dh and I have been working on weight loss. Ds lost 7.5 lbs so far (in six days), I lost 7 and dh is down 14. I would like to...
Some random thoughts because that's how I roll. Haha. We think of ADHD as an inability to focus, but some ADHD kids hyper focus, so they can actually be very focused at times.(like at her swim meet, or when she can't talk and work at the same time). There is also ADD, without the hyperactivity. there are lots of books written for coping strategies for kids and adults. Because she's a homeschooler, I would recommend an adults book as it deals with things that are more...
Imagine it from her perspective. You are ruining her favorite grand child's life and there is nothing she can do to stop this train wreck.. Clearly, any mother who would act so crazy and irresponsible is not approachable and cannot be counted on to think rationally, so why would she come to you with her concerns? I hope those eye roll smileys convey my sarcasm. Obviously, I've btdt. She will let it go, eventually.
Sorry that this is off topic, but I value the opinions of like minded folk so I'm curious, if you've seen these short videos on population, what do you think. My kids and I watched them and they seem to make sense. Just wondering what other unschoolers think.
We've unschooled, more or less, for about five years and none of my kids are confident writers. The younger two are probably on par with their age mates, but the oldest (12) - I don't even think knows what a sentence is, or how to write one. When to use caps, punctuation - nada. He is an avid reader, but mostly of manga and gaming manuals. And don't get me started on his handwriting - it probably compares with that of a second grader. Seriously, this sounds like an...
I like this idea of comparing, say, Fox and Alternet's takes on the same stories.
Thanks for all the input, ladies. My kids and I love Rick Mercer, we watch him often. I had sort of forgotten about 22 minutes, we'll have to add that to the mix. I think TRNN is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, it seems less sensational and over the top than some we've been listening to/reading. We are in Canada and do listen to CBC broadcasts, but I find they leave a lot out, maybe not as much as some US networks though. Love the idea about listening to...
My preteens are starting to get interested in current events and I'm looking for media outlets that are less than mainstream to compare news stories. Any recommendations? What are your favourites?