or Connect

Posts by nebula228

Hi all,   Thank you for your responses. But you have no idea how its like living in a combined family and the talk is all about academics and competetion. My in-laws are here and we stay in a schooling district which has some very good schools but also very competitive.    They have told me me that my son will lag behind if i don't do academics with him and will not be able to handle the competition. And since we are a joint family and share a house, my son will be...
Hi all,   My son will be 4 very soon. He is a verbally gifted kid. Good socializing. Always asking questions. Loves to read books though he can't read yet. I read them to him. He also explains stuff very nicely.   My fix is he is more of a holistic learner. Always wants the big picture. Not into rote memorization. But unfortunately it is rote memorization which actually counts. Either in tests or academically. My Nephew at 4 and a half is far ahead than my son. My...
Hi all,   I had started some threads in the past regarding my 3 year old's reluctance to write and read but who only wants to play all the time with his cars. He is literally obsessed with his cars. I had some great responses for the other moms and their responses have laid my fears to rest. And how I was expecting too much from my son based on comparing with other kids. I thank you all for these great responses.   I have a concern though and would like to get...
Hi all,   I need some advise. It would be great if you guys can help me figure out what is right and am i doing something wrong?   I have a 3 year old who is very verbal. He loves his cars and can indulge in imaginative play with his match box cars. He absolutely loves his cars. He loves when i tell him stories or when i read to him. He does not read yet. Nor does he shows any interest in writing. But he plays plays and then plays some. He loves to watch you tube...
Hi Everyone,   My son has been having sore throat and cough for a week now. Its not a consistent cough. Its usually in the nights. He has a clear runny nose/sniffles. My doctor usually says its better to try natural remedies like honey for sore throat rather than going for  BENADRYL .   My sister- in-law is a pharmacist and she said its fine to give BENADRYL for five days in a row in the night and his sore throat will go away.    So I am in a fix. I...
Hi pek64,   I did check that. He does not seem to have any food in tolerances. They don't give any sugar in the preschool so I am sure its not sugar either.   Two days before he cried for half an hour nonstop because he wanted the car seat which his cousin sits on. He refused to sit on his car seat and i had to forcefully make him sit. Sometimes he can be mighty stubborn and selfish when he wants to be. That is why I came up with this reward system based on his...
Hi All,   Can you please advice me if I am doing the right thing.   My son is very fond of cars and whenever we go out he expects us to buy him something or the other. Of course he does not spend much. Just the 2 dollars hotwheeels/match box cars. But i guess that is besides the point.   Also we have put him in Montessori. He is suffering from severe separation anxiety and breakdowns every morning to go to preschool. Also he has become extra cranky of late....
Hi all,   My son who will be 3 by the end of this month has started acting weird. He absolutely doesn't like to go to his grandparents(Dads side). My parents haven't visited us often so i am not sure how his relationship with them will be.    As a matter of fact he likes only me and his dad. Since ours is an extended family my in laws come and stay with us every 6 months. As a baby he used to go nicely to them but now even when they come forward to hug or kiss...
Hi Silverring,   Thanks ton for your expert opinion.    Below are the few observations in my son with regards to your comments.   1) not picking up rhyme - eg in nursery rhymes or games    He does sing his nursery rhymes. He know quite a few of them.   2) problems with directional cues - eg forward/back, up/down, before/after   He does not seem to have any problems in this area. Follows directions wonderfully.   3) organisational skills - hard...
Hi all,   Is is possible for dyslexic kids to have very good verbal skills but poor reading and written skills.   My husband was dyslexic when he was a kid. Coming to my son, I do find some characteristics of dyslexia like showing no interest in alphabets/numbers and sequencing them, failure to recognize a word even after multiple repetitions, mistakes l for j, not interested in writing etc....   But on the other hand he has very good verbal skills and...