or Connect

Posts by livinglife

Sigh...this is a common complaint of parents of children with special needs.  I feel defensive around this one personally.  I've never felt my son has had an evaluation that's ever revealed his true intelligence.  Partly, it's because he hasn't tried very hard and didn't care enough about it to do well, and partly, because the test itself requires executive functioning skills like delayed gratification (because, as you say, he'd rather be doing something else) which has...
Contact Maya, some of my best answers come when I stop trying to "figure it out" and just trust that with time I will discover what I need to know.  You can work with what you got from the evaluation.  It confirmed what you already knew.  It's not rocket science.  You're an in tune mom who knows their child.  Of course you knew what the testing would reveal.  But, the school can't make recommendations on your "word".  Isn't that what some of your conversation was about. ...
Sillysapling...that's just it.  OT for SPD in children is hardly every covered.  The OT specified in most insurance plans are for those suffering the effect of strokes and head injuries.   Contactmaya, just know the likelihood is low that it will be covered so don't get your hopes up.  :(
Contactmaya, in my experience, OT isn't even covered by traditional insurance unless it is a very expensive plan.  Once, I had it covered for my son, for a short time, when my husband had a GREAT policy.  Then, insurance always fought me tooth and nail and always refused to pay.    Even though SPD isn't recognized as an LD your school OT can serve as a consultant to the classroom teacher and if she isn't already ask that it be written into his IEP.  An IEP can specify...
You may be able to get enough good information about protocols from Dr. Yasko's website and message board.  I never got her testing for my son but I already knew he must have had the detox pathway blocked and followed her recommendations regarding jumpstarting the pathway.    It sounds like the cost of a homeopath may be prohibitive, but, you can read tinus smits website which has very good information on CEASE and very detailed information on the universal miasms. ...
Would you consider consulting a homeopath?  You have a VERY complex situation (no need to tell you that, I'm sure) so I can't compare my child to your's, but, he had a much milder form of autism, PDD-NOS, with attending anxiety and attention issues.  I addressed his situation with the help of Dr. Amy Yasko's work on metabolic pathways (I helped to open his detox pathway with B-12, gf/cf/soy free diet, chorella and cilantro for gentle clearing of metals, and lots of...
I haven't read the whole thread but when I saw that you asked what can be done in this situation, I wanted to offer up what my child's school has done in the past.  They call it an "enforced seperation".  A child is kept apart from another child in the same class by the teacher.  They don't sit together, stand in line together, work together etc.  If seen getting close, they are moved.  The children and their families are also brought into this, where they agree it is...
Your welcome Babysmurf....I want to add that this is the "cure" that people talk about when referring to the gf/cf diet being a partial or complete cure for spectrum disorder.  This is not true for all children.  If you do research on your own regarding the different metabolic "pathways" that can be blocked in those showing spectrum disorder you'll understand with more depth that there are other biomedical ways to help children who don't respond to the diet.   Does that...
However, if you are finding that the "dietary" treatment is key to the change in his behavior and learning then do NOT reintroduce foods to aggravate the symptoms, making him qualify for a diagnosis, which, I think after reading your post, that you may be contemplating.   This as others have already said, is an important time for growth and development in a child.  It can often take 6 months to "dry out" from gluten.  That's a long time for a young child to be...
To add to what Melissa17 said, I've also known parents to offer to pay to have an expert come in and train the teacher and special ed teacher on preferred teaching methods.  It is not only good for your child but is professional and career development enhancing for them.  A win win approach so to speak.