or Connect

Posts by livinglife

Hi APToddlerMama, Thank you for the welcome.  I've been around here under different names a couple of times, about 8 and 9 years ago when my son was a baby and toddler.  I would always forget the name I used so had to re-register!  I have always loved coming here for good information and I recently picked up some information on another thread, a dietary supplement that I had never used, or realized it's potential to help, and it was just what I needed to know.  Both my...
He does sound delightful and very precocious.  But, you are seeing commonalities with your 22 year old brother who you worry will not be able to care for himself independently.  You already know the line between quirky and something else going on and your hunch is that your son is clearly more then quirky.  Trust yourself.   I saw that Linda suggests you read "Quirky Kids" (which was also co-written by my son's pediatrician Eileen Costello).  I find the advice to be...
Hi APToddlermama, yes, to me, he sounds like he's somewhere on the spectrum.  I'm sorry.  I suspect that his symptoms will fade with nutritional and dietary interventions as well as the right behavioral plans in place.  There is every hope of that.  I have been where you are with my now 10 year old and there is every hope for improvement and recovery.    He sounds like my son who has atypical autism which is the soon to be eliminated PDD-NOS diagnosis.  What a...
I'll try too.  You've very gently made suggestions about other ways she can view the struggle that her child is going through in school.  That is all you can do and you did it with such kindness. You can let it go.  Every parent deserves the right to go through their own learning curve.  We know it is a hard road to walk on should her child actually have special needs.  I feel for her child who is struggling, and remember that children do well who can do well, and I feel...
I am sorry to read that your little guy is struggling with this transition.  I agree that the ratio of adults to children is too low.  My daughter's program has 1 adult for every 5 children plus a parent helper every day in our coop.   If you take him out of this school, you may want to consider choosing a school for a mid year opening or you may have luck finding a program with an opening now that will allow you to transition your child and have a willingness to...
Good for you!!  You sound ready to advocate.  Please let us know how it goes.  
I also do movies and lunch with my 10 year old eldest who has PDD-NOS.  I also try to "snuggle" him to sleep at least a few nights a week where we talk and catch up on his life.  I also have taken a "step back".  Thankfully he is doing very very well and I can step back and have him be secure.  But, for at least three years his life was very up and down and I had to work very hard to help him understand his friendships, school expectations and work with his team at...
Do some research on weighted vests.  He may accept you placing one on him after he eats and then removing him from the chair.  They are comforting and help a child with sensory issues to feel grounded and calm.  Maybe it will replace the enclosed feeling of the chair and make the transition to other things easier.   Just a thought....  
You are right you need to be on them like glue.  From my experience, I needed to work with his school and insist I be "part of the team" until they knew my thoughts and how I consider things.  This was a couple of years of his school life by the way!  Of course, it is a long time, a big commitment and a lot of parents are working outside the home and have no time for this.  They often don't know what methods are used to assist their child or if their child's IEP is even...