or Connect

Posts by livinglife

Chiefmir, I do happen to live in a very high powered school district that before the age of 8 will offer a diagnosic neuropsych report from an outside neuropsychiatrist that they contract out with who routinely works for the school but also has a private practice.  The school psychologist does use the same testing tools.   I know it's unusual but I'm not sure how out of the norm it is in more sophisticated districts with parents who demand that kind of evaluation.  There...
Yes, if you're gifted....but, then the IQ test would reveal that as well...the point being that it is the most comprehensive form of testing available.  Which I am sure is the salient point.  Of course, it is, as good as the person who interprets it...hopefully, putting together a picture of the whole person.  :)  If not, thankfully, the children have US, to figure out if it captures them completely.    Blessings.
Hi....   I totally get it.  Mine lost a lot of weight on the diet initially too.  That, I think, is the detox period which lasts six months to a year.  Then amazingly, he put on a great deal of weight on the diet, in the more normal range (30%), after he got used to getting more of his calories from nuts, meats, complex carbs and the like.  His taste buds matured yes, so he was willing to eat other foods, but, I also did a lot of explaining about food, how, we eat...
I am saying that it is more definitive then other types of testing, at your son's age,  because it will either rule in or out any other learning disabilities that mimic problems with attention and focus.    The testing will also be better able to determine ADHD once and for all, or, rule it out once and for all, BECAUSE the tools for diagnosis are more comprehensive then behavioral reports from home and teacher plus clinical observation.  Since that is a problem, in...
In terms of the school being mandated to give a neuropsych, maybe it is different from state to state, in terms of how they interpret IDEA, as there are differences even within the same state as to how school districts interpret what they are responsible to provide.  This is something you will have to determine as I don't know what state you live in.  A neuropsychiatric evaluation is provided by the school psychologist upon request, whether it is diagnostic or not, and it...
To answer forest mushroom's question, a neurosychologist will perform a battery of learning and educational testing that will rule out any learning difficulties that either 1. overlap with ADHD that can make symptoms worse that need to be addressed educationally  2.  can mimic or cause attention and focus issues because children, often boys, figet or show lack of attention when they cannot access the learning.   It is considered to be the most helpful evaluation to tease...
OK....contactmaya, maybe we are illustrating for you, the kind of back and forth that occurs when there is a lack of clarity about how to put symptoms into a context of a diagnosis.  If you want to see that back and forth clarified and put to rest in "real life", we are illustrating how important it is to get to the bottom of things...so sorry if I am being repetitive but, I had this kind of back and forth too with my son's school when he was eight.  It is very painful and...
OK...for further clarity, a developmental pediatrician does not provide an educational evaluation.   Of course they can evaluate a child for a number of conditions outside of early childhood, but, how useful is that, when the school will not find the evaluation helpful.  That, is the salient point.   Schools require information on learning style, weaknesses and strengths, to create an effective and useful IEP.    To parse the discussion further regarding ADHD diagnosis,...
I also want to add, for further clarity, that even though children look different at home vs at school, children who have ADHD, prior to their entry to school, have a typical profile that parents can easily identify.  They have a history at a very young age, of restless frequent movement, poor attention and focus to parental requests, inability to do one task for very long, unless highly interested in the task as it is very common for children with ADHD to hyper focus on...
For the sake of clarity, it is really important to remember when your child is school aged, that a neuropsychological evaluation provides not just a diagnosis but also educational testing to determine learning style, weaknesses, overall IQ, and the all important recommendations for intervention both at home and at school to improve overall learning and functioning.  It is the kind of testing the school needs to put interventions in place.  So, since school is the most...