or Connect

Posts by livinglife

Marmahu, I always read your posts with interest.  It puzzles me just as much as you why some children respond to the gf/cf diet and heavy metal detox protocols and others don't.  I get the sense you have read a great deal in your parenting journey and done a lot of your own soul searching.   When my son was first diagnosed almost three years ago I happened upon Dr. Amy Yasko's work on metabolic pathways.  If you google her a great deal of info comes up.  Since she is...
I'd suggest you take a deep breath and try with the help of a trusted friend or counselor, to take a look at the level of intensity that may or may not exist in your household.  I suspect that there is more going on here and it may be hard to talk about or look at.   I know that a child like your son would be incredibly taxing.  His need for safety, structure, routine, healthy food and a very calm nurturing environment would tax any parent.   I have a special needs...
I wouldn't disagree with that.  Both are true.  
The "uncertainty" I feel comfortable living with related to the root causes of my son's issues, comes from the reality that we live in a world that respects the "scientific method" and not anecdotal evidence, parental wisdom and age old wisdom about the body from other types of healing practitioners like homeopaths, acupuncturists etc.  Most parents I've met, and I include myself in this, have doubted my own knowing and second guessed my own questioning because it is...
I have done a great deal of my own soul searching about such questions.  At the risk of sounding deep here, I think for me, it makes sense to live with the uncertainty about the actual root causes.  What does it really matter?  In fact it likely is all of the above!  I believe the cause of many modern epidemics are multifactoral.  I believe it can and is true that tourettes, autism, cancer, what have you, is caused by BOTH genetic predisposition AND, environmental...
Winnie, to answer your question about why people think you should consider Panda's, it's because you mentioned in your description that your child has tics.     Of course, with everyone's suggestions, your head may be spinning!  I hope that you can sort all this out.  I had a "complex" kiddo as well, and I know how overwhelming all this is.  He's now 11 and while I trust he's not completely "sorted" we understand him very well now.  It's worth it to dig in.  You do...
FYI- It took a long time for the traditional medical community to even acknowledge panda's.  While the "traditional" and "conventional" approach says that pandas are sudden onset after a case of strep, in fact, while not acknowledged by doctors, children and adults can be effected by chronic low grade strep that the body never mounts an effective immune response to.    You can google a great deal of helpful information on the subject at alternative health sites.  It...
Hi APToddlermom, I'm so glad you found your way to further help.  How old is your son now?  I'll add to your suggestion for the poster, because I think it is a wonderful idea to test for strep levels with a Maps doctor.  We never went that route ourselves to "officially" treat my son  or Pandas but we periodically treat him with the homeopathic strep nosode and that works brilliantly for us.  If you may remember from many of my posts, we are a family who uses homeopathy...
You do have an IEP in place, yes?  I was assuming so, but, if not that would be a BIG and important step.  Were there any learning and education recommendations from testing?  It sounds to me as if your child could benefit from Occupational Therapy ( gross motor and other sensory issues) and time out of the classroom for support in mood regulation and social skills support.
I would add to Melissa17's suggestion that you get tests run:  vision testing from a developmental opthomologist (trained to spot vision problems in children and treating with either glasses or vision therapy), get a full panel of allergy testing done (the discomfort from which can cause a host of behavioral and learning problems) and begin your OWN journal at home, documenting day by day, what your child eats, vs, their noted behavior.  Was it a good day, and if so,...