or Connect

Posts by livinglife

And, boy, don't you wish sometimes you were given a manual when they were born....that tells you the right decisions to make ;)  You are certainly doing so much that's right for your child even without the manual!
How does he learn?  Do his delays include cognitive functioning, or, does he understand your explanations and respond to rewards?  I don't want to be down on feeding therapy when it could be the answer for you, especially since he sounds like he is so in need of some kind of help, but of course, you want to make sure it really helps.  Does he at least drink any calories?  Will he do smoothies?   What feeding therapy looked like for us, was that it consisted of...
I wanted to respond to you....this was a very upsetting issue for me when my son was very young.  He also had a difficult time "eating".  He ate soft baby food and then table food, put through a blender, mixed with apple sauce, so that he could easily swallow it, until he was almost three.   I then "taught" him how to "chew and swallow", my first experience with his "learning style" which to this day, is that things that are hard for him, have to be broken down for...
I think what you have to keep track of is not behaviors but a stuck developmental pattern.  Since you know, that with appropriate skill building and teaching, he can and will learn social language and behaviors,  you can ask yourself, is he "catching on" or is he unavailable to learn due to other factors like anxiety, aggression or sensory overload, that the diet can help him even out?    Of course, all of us have good and bad days, but I hope that having a few bad...
earthmama4, thank you so much for sharing that with me.  I totally get it.  I also have been very afraid for my youngest.  I ate gf/cf while pregnant and then while nursing.  It was when she began eating a "regular" diet she began to show gross and fine motor problems.  Now, she's on the gf/cf diet and has been for a year, and low and behold, her gross and fine motor skills are improving at a good rate.  In another year, with the diet, and more OT/PT I'd expect she'll be...
FYI, my son was on the diet from 13 months to 19 months, 2 1/2 to 4 1/2, 6 to 7 and then again from 9 to his now, which is age 11 3/4.    If this helps you too, I have found that I am healthiest when I eat gf/cf.  It's hard to explain and it often can take six months to completely clear out gluten from your system, but, I loose weight still eating the same caloric amount, I loose food cravings, I no longer get migraines, I think more clearly, I'm emotionally calmer...
expat-mama, as you know from my posts, I am a big proponent of the diet.  I am not completely certain why it works so well for us and others say, nope, it does nothing for my child.  My guess is that, spectrum disorders stem from multi-factoral causes of which metabolics is a small but key part.  I also am helping him detox heavy metals and I heavily supplement him as well as fortify his digestion with tons of probiotics and enzymes.  But without the diet, my son is...
This is absolutely one hundred percent a sign and symptom of her spectrum thought process.  She has high functioning autism.  I know that it must be hard to come to grips with that.  This is what it can look like in a family.    I totally get it.  My son is 11 and has HFA and my daughter is 5 and a half and she is clearly precocious and happy.  He is always telling her what to do in a bossy manner, interfering with her creative play by telling her it is made up or...
I am a clinician by training...I agree with the other posters who are directing you to consider an atypical autism presentation, like aspergers or pdd-nos, given his strong and unusual interest in the clocks and what appears to be sensory integration issues.  He is sorry for what he's done afterward, he is generally sweet natured and feels he can't control himself when he acts out in a rage.  That is NOT ODD.  Often anxiety presents itself hand in hand with a person on...
That is if homeopathy just acts on the "immune system" to promote health.  Some would argue that the root of all disregulation or illness has an "emotional" component or trigger (homeopathy believes whole heartedly in the "mind body connection").  Regardless, just for the sake of clarity, homeopathy heals on the emotional, behavioral, and physical level...a well selected remedy will encompass and impact all these domains.  Some would argue as well, if you believe in a...