or Connect

Posts by livinglife

Ephedra is not a homeopathic remedy.  It is an Chinese herb which is used as a stimulant.   Homeopathic remedies work under the principal that like cures like when administered in a small infinitesimal amount.  So, yes, poison's that would trigger vomiting like arsenic are used as homeopathic remedies to treat flu symptoms, for example, but, the reason that homeopathy is considered safe, yes, SAFE, is because the amount is diluted and shaken in water, so many times,...
Hi expat-mama.  First, I just want to say that this is a scary time of letting go and trusting for any parent and child, not just for a parent with a child who has ASD!  The first day of my son (and daughter) at preschool, they happily joined the group, and I went off to the car to cry my way home....   I think most of all, I want to encourage you to trust that your son's social learning will mostly take place "as it's occurring".  You can do some preparation, as I...
Hi.  Only you can figure this together with him as no one child on the spectrum is alike.  That being said there are some commonalities.  I think, in general, if it "pleases" him he will interact well and easily.  If it doesn't please him he will say so in a very outspoken way and that's what you're seeing.  It is very "spectrum like".  Being explicit with what's "expected" whether we "want" to or not, and rewarding for that, gives him an external motivator to please...
Often children on the spectrum are visual learners.  Taking the "words" out of this as much as possible will only help him learn.  If you think about it...words and the many different layers of meaning are often what get's our children lost in their interactions.  I know my son is very concrete and explicit.  I'd imagine your son feels only like he is telling the truth and doesn't understand the hurt in his words.   So use as few words as possible when breaking down...
You have all the right understandings and ideas about how to help him.  What's missing, from your description, is the breaking down of these type of social situations into very small components, calling what you'd like him to do or say, expected behavior, and what he does or says, unexpected behavior.  Break down the "expected behavior" in very small pieces, write it out in the form of a simple chart, using pictures and just a few words and review it EVERY day providing...
What I was also saying was that you can't just "have your kid diagnosed with autism".  The standard protocol for diagnosis (at least in the states) is rigorous and many diagnosticians won't make it at all until 7 when what could be lagging developmental skills clearly become pervasive delays.    It is very painful to have a child with this diagnosis.  They don't relate to you in typical ways or through reciprocal communication and reciprocal shows of affection...
Hmmmm, all of the above is very inflammatory.  I personally don't know ANYONE like the families you describe.  I try to avoid pitting groups of children against each other.  What's the point.  In this society, everyone can be on the alert for those looking for a "handout" and certainly there must be some who take advantage.    BUT I have to say...ALL the families I know whose children have a diagnosis of autism do NOT want their child to have the diagnosis, they only...
Yes, my thoughts exactly Earthrootsstarsoul.  I'm so sorry that you had the childhood experience that you had.  I do for my son what I do so that he does get the understanding he needs.  I get concerned that because of a lack of resources, communities and families feel the need to pit themselves against each other and compare their pain and experience and call it better or worse.  There is real pain experienced by the individual who is misunderstood, punished due to no...
My youngest child is not on the spectrum but her brother is.  Needless to say, like you, I was very sensitive to signs of gi distress, and quite concerned when she developed green stools as a very young infant, red rings on her bottom and became difficult to sooth during the first two weeks of her life.   Some things to investigate related to breast feeding itself.  When nursing, it is important to nurse long enough on one side for a baby to fill up on hind milk...
I'm so sorry...I think that they changed the website to a new format.  Just look up Tinus Smitts, inspiring homeopathy.   It has been so incredibly helpful...I'd say, far and away the one thing that has made the MOST difference for my son.