or Connect

Posts by livinglife

Hmmm, I'm just reacting to your language which was dismissive of an awful lot of the conversations that take place on this board.  I am sensitive to these conversations because of the enormous amount of work and effort it takes to stick with dietary changes and the emotional turmoil parents often go through, myself included, before undertaking a dietary change.  I don't like to see it dismissed for "lack of evidence" from someone who seems new to these...
With all due respect, what researcher would find funding (provided by drug companies for the most part) to do a study on the efficacy of gluten free/ casein free diets for children on the spectrum?  I don't see a drug company lining up to fund it.    However, there are scores and scores of anecdotal descriptions of gluten and casein intolerance effecting sensory modulation and cognition in children with learning and developmental challenges.  There has also been some...
Was this diagnosis made by a psychiatrist, developmental pediatrician or by a neuropsychologist?    If I were approaching this fresh, and not seeking out psychiatric supports, I would be seeking a diagnosis for a child from a neuropsychologist who would arrive at their diagnosis based on a pattern of learning strengths and weaknesses as well as patterns of thinking that they can see in their many layers of testing.    There are also specific tests used to...
Hi ContactMaya, the nice thing about homeopathy is that the "diagnosis" isn't important it is the range of symptoms and how they express themselves in the whole person which is used to a select a remedy.  ADHD, auditory processing disorder, autism...children with different diagnosis will be helped with similar remedies regardless of the underlying reason for the impulse control issues.  That being said, if you want to try and select a remedy yourself without using a...
Your school system can't give a diagnosis unless you request that they do so.  You request evaluations, occupational therapy, speech, and neurospych as well as physical therapy.  It is your choice about what kind of evaluation you are requesting.  A neuropsych is what is typically used to diagnose a developmental disorder like autism but since your primary concern is his speech and language development you can just request a full speech evaluation and see if he qualifies...
My 11 year old ultimately had a spectrum disorder and also was a late talker.  I brought in early intervention when he was 16 months old and was unhappy with their general lack of professionalism.  When you allow someone into your home as well I believe it important to be able to choose someone yourself who will work within your family philosophy and listen to you.  I ultimately "fired" early intervention...but I would not suggest "waiting it out" as you say.  Then,...
Hi Contactmaya!  Try www.tinussmits.com.  That should work.  :)  
Hi!  I don't normally share in this forum but I have a perspective i'd like to offer you to help you find insight into the future that you wrote about in your post.  My DD is now 5 years old and was a very precocious baby/toddler.  She said her first word at 2 weeks (Hi!) and was saying momma and daddy at 2 months with intention.  By 5 months she had put two words together (EAT MORE!) and at a year I was teaching her manners.  LOL!  I figured if she was going to tell me...
My son who's on the spectrum had an asthmatic episode 4 years ago where he was hospitalized.    We've been able to treat his asthma "biomedically" as we have treated his spectrum issues and he hasn't required albuterol, steriods or inhailers of any kind in over three years.   We use homeopathy, nutritional supplements and dietary changes to address his various health issues.  Since many children who are on the spectrum have allergies and asthma/eczema, I'd be...
There's a law in Mass where I live that also says autism treatment has to be covered by insurance as if it is a medical condition.  However, in practice, for us, it has proven a hollow promise.  The gold standard of diagnosis in schools is a neuropsych evaluation done by a psychologist which is what we used to diagnose.  Our insurance refused to re-emburse us for social skills therapies because an MD did not make the diagnosis.  (If we had used an MD the schools would...