or Connect

Posts by livinglife

Yikes well that clears up the picture!  :)  Does your son have any insight into his behavior?  Just curious?  And do YOU think that his behavior is stemming from a spectrum like place, where he genuinely does not know expectations or is his behavior at LMB coming from his past frustrations at being unable to read and a fear of more failure?  The latter being mixed in with the former would be so understandable but behaviorists usually are not interested in that last...
Pattimomma, does this school that your son goes to have a lab or learning center support room, where your son can review information, expectations, talk through and collaborate and problem solve with a professional, and then enter into the classroom where he is quasi independent with reminders from the "helper" about his agreements and what he's doing....subtle and discrete reminders, like, "remember"...."what's next" etc...., that way he can keep his dignity so to speak...
I wonder as well...but, the only way to find out is to ask him.  In my mind, the problem with ABA though is that it just plain isn't discrete.  It relies on a series of motivators and consequences which are frequent at the beginning and then "fade out" when the situation is mastered.  This may work at home for in home therapy but is seriously embarrassing to an older more high functioning child.  That's why in our experience it didn't work well, because, it didn't take...
It makes no sense to me to listen to an "expert" when my own instincts tell me the opposite.  Remember that you're your child's foremost expert.  Do YOU think ABA will help your child? 
Every decision you may make now may be based on whether it will set your son back and how to keep him strong and steady.   I know this feeling very well.   I went back on forth on many issues, mainly, diet, as I did not want my son (or daughter for that matter) to have a limited diet, and feel different.  But, I have come to a peaceful place about this, after many years, because I realize, that they are different, and as such, need a diet that supports their optimal...
Pattimomma, so many people have done the same for me....telling me just what I needed to know when I needed to hear it.   So glad to pay it forward
CPS began being used in my son's school after a mother offered to pay for a special education teacher to receive the training.   Is there one person at your child's school who is willing to be trained?    Just a thought...
Hi Peony, I'm sorry I didn't see this until now.  It is my understanding about the law that preschool age children are the one age grouping that you can qualify for speech and language purely to advance social skills such as "whole body listening" and "taking in words with your eyes".  The qualifier is that services are provided to support a child's ability to access the curriculum like their typically developing peers, and, at 4, the learning need is developing peer and...
I know it is touted as the most proven method of treatment but it did not work very well for my now 11 year old with PDD.  His very experienced special education teacher explained to me that children who are high functioning and bright often do not respond very well to ABA unless they are very young when you use it.    The collaborative problem solving method was however very useful for him.  It was created by ablom and green, the same psychologists who wrote...
I know he's on a gf/cf soy free diet.  That's marvelous!  It is so much commitment to keep to this diet, I know!  I know you've wondered in the past why it hasn't seemed to reduce his symptoms even further then it has, although it has helped enormously.    One thing I was searching my memory for for when my DS was your little guys age, (I can't believe that was nine years ago...I'm old!!)  was, what "else" I used to do for him in addition to dietary changes and his...