or Connect

Posts by mamapenguin

We took DD to the emergency room when she swallowed a plum pit last fall.  We were basically told that if she wasn't in any distress, then they wouldn't do an x-ray (the doc said that the most likely place it would get stuck was at the entry point to the stomach, and that it would probably be uncomfortable for her).  They also said to check poop, and that if it didn't emerge in 4-5 days, then to head back to the doctor.  It turned up the next day:)
I totally agree with the lollipop idea - it's amazing how exciting they are for a kiddo who has never had one before!  We got almost an hour out of one too - worth every gram of sugar:)  I also give my DD a sheet of stickers.  She peels them off one by one and sticks them into a little notebook (or on her legs, shoes etc.) - this keeps her occupied for way longer than a toy would.  
8:00 DD wakes up.  She usually wants to nurse and cuddle for the first 15 minutes that she's awake, and then we'll read or play for a little while.     I make breakfast and we eat around 9.  Then I clean the kitchen while she gets under my feet:)  On a good day, she'll go out in the backyard and ride her tricycle or collect snails long enough for me to get things cleaned up.     9:30 DH wakes up (he is a total night owl, and seems completely incapable of changing...
Sorry to hear you're having a difficult time.  I only have one child (my daughter is 2.5), so I can't speak to the challenges of having a high needs baby while trying to take care of an older child as well.  But, I have had the experience of taking care of my high needs baby, while desperately trying to maintain my already low weight while nursing and being completely sleep-deprived (she was a terrible napper too).     To me it sounds like you really have to make...
Oh my, I haven't thought about MC for a looong time.  I had this when I was 14, having caught it from a toddler that I babysat.  It sounds like my case was fairly mild compared to what a lot of you are going through with your kids, since it was just on my right leg.  Mine were cleared up in about six months by taking the cores out of the bumps.  I still have some minor scarring on my leg, but the marks have definitely gotten less noticeable over the years - I'm pretty...
That's a good idea to start sneaking some "pyjama-like" clothing in and see what happens.  At the moment, she's particularly attached to the bunny jammies - the PJs definitely have a cute animal factor that none of her other clothes do.  I actually went to the store and bought the last pair of bunny jammies, so at least we can alternate now.  I'm trying to just take a deep breath and let her wear them whenever she wants, and hopefully this phase will pass soon.  Today...
OK, not really fashion choices, but for the last 2 months, my DD (29 months) has pretty much refused to wear anything except pyjamas.  It started when we were away on a trip that involved a very long travel day (24 hours door to door, including a 4 hour drive to the airport, and 3 flights, one of which was a redeye - yes, we live in the middle of nowhere).  I made the mistake of trying to change her out of her pyjamas after the redeye flight, and she had a complete...
Well, it certainly sounds like he has some of the traits of a spirited child - intense, persistent, energetic, and sensitive.  My daughter definitely fits the description in terms of persistence, intensity, and adaptability.  She's also energetic in the sense that she never stays still - not that she really runs around all that much, but she's just always moving and fidgeting - it's hard to get her to stop moving at bedtime.  I've found the book an interesting read for...
We have an under-bed storage bin filled with rice - I find it easier to sweep up than sand for indoor play.  Add some spoons, containers, a funnel etc.  We also take turns hiding and digging up little animal figurines.  It does require some supervision, and "the rice stays in the rice box" reminders, but overall the entertainment value is well worth the minimal cleanup time:)  
My daughter is 29 months and is obsessed with babies.  She regularly pretends she is a little baby (she will lie on her back and kick her feet and say "wah, wah, I'm a little baby"), and her favourite after-dinner game is to crawl inside her papa's shirt and pretend to be a little baby getting ready to be born.  She'll wiggle around for a little bit, and then say "I'm ready!" and pop out of his shirt.  This has been going on for about two months now, since we went to...