or Connect

Posts by mamapenguin

I'd love to hear how others have implemented "quiet time".  I've been trying to do this on days when DD doesn't nap (she's 29 months, and it's getting more difficult to get her to sleep), but have had no luck so far.  She still doesn't really play independently, and she gets very upset if I try to leave her alone in her room.  I have tried making a "nest" for her out of blankets and pillows in my room, with books and toys, so that I can lie down and read on my bed, but...
When nursing to sleep doesn't work, I rock my daughter and sing lullabies, or put her in the stroller and take her out for a walk (the latter only works for naps - I have never managed to transfer her from the stroller to her crib without waking her up).  I used to just put her in the carrier, but that is no longer possible (she's 28 months and 32 lbs. - my back just can't take that any more).  Now that she's older, I nurse her until she feels like her body is settling...
Our first couple of days were really frustrating too.  There were a lot of clothing changes and floor cleaning, and I was seriously questioning if I was doing the right thing.  But by day three, things were going way better in terms of peeing in the potty (DD still asks for a diaper to poop in).  My daughter is very "spirited" and strong willed, and I found it worked a lot better to say "tell me if you have to use the potty", and leave it to her.  Even if she is hopping...
Would he wear pants without a diaper?  My daughter also refused to go naked, so I ended up just putting her in pants with no diaper.  For about three days she wet her pants (and I did a lot of laundry and mopping), and then she was willing to sit on the potty.  I did discover that she really dislikes wearing underpants, so at home she usually goes without them - the "big kid underpants" sales job was an utter failure:)  Also, now that she's peeing pretty consistently on...
I am no expert on meal planning, since I just started 2 weeks ago, but it has already made a huge difference for me in terms of time management and life enjoyment:)  I came up with 10 dinner ideas and wrote them out on index cards - each one has a list of the ingredients needed.  Most are not actually from recipes (eg. for burritos I need beans, tortillas, tomato, avocado etc.).  I pick out 4 at a time and make a grocery list off of them. This way, I only grocery shop...
This is my first post on Mothering - seems an appropriate place to start since it feels like I've spent the last 2 years trying to get my daughter to sleep;-)   My daughter is 28 months, and she's also in that awkward phase where napping seems to throw off her nighttime sleep, but she still really needs it, or she'll turn into a cranky monster in the late afternoon.  She's a very erratic sleeper, and never settles into a schedule for more than a few weeks, but right...