or Connect

Posts by Starflower

Our whole family likes Green Chili Jam Band's "Coconut Moon." It's got a folky feel to much of it; one song is spoken word type poetry; another is story. The family favorite is "Lard" though - it's just really fun and funny. They have a couple other CDs but we have not heard them yet. I found Coconut Moon at the library but it was filed under Barney Fuller. We borrowed it so many times, I finally just ordered a copy of our own for the holidays....
I think part of it must be demographics. Many of the moms I know here are older. I am 40 and have a 7 year old. I look young for my age though - always have. I don't ever get carded for wine at the grocery any more though. I figure if I lose some weight, my wrinkles will fill in and I'll look more my age.   Someone did ask when I was due once though when I wasn't pregnant. She thought I was just beginning to show and I had canceled my xrays at the chiro's office, but...
I think the polite and respectful thing to do in this situation is to ask the child to tell you about his/her toy. This gives the child a chance to share something of importance with you. And you don't even have to say "it's very nice." You could just make an observation and comment on that in a neutral (or positive) manner. For instance, with a Barbie, you could comment on the doll's eyes such as "They are really blue!" or something. Or even just thank the child for...
I was going to suggest this as well.
There is a link to an abbreviated myers-briggs test earlier in this thread which I found to be consistent with my earlier tests. I am also an INFP. I recently saw a friend I hadn't seen for almost 15 years. It was like we'd never been apart, but that's the type of relationship we used to have. I feel close to her again now and wish we lived closer. The good news is that she's moving to a city 4 hours away. And I'm excited because it greatly increases the chance that I'll...
I am sorry to hear about your grandmother's terminal illness.   I flew out to see my grandma about 3 months before she died. She'd had ovarian cancer for 2+ years and had suffered a lot. She didn't give up until the doctors told her they couldn't give her any more chemo, even though she'd been inoperable from the moment of diagnosis. I saw her a couple months before she went to hospice. I found I was PG about 2 days before I left to see her. She was so happy. I...
You may also be able to find good local gardening books at your library. I am not gardening yet (still researching) but have looked at several books about gardening in the PNW. Depending upon where you live, the garden stores and very local books may be best due to the micro-climates in the area.   Sunset also had some very interesting info on zones on their website which showed how the zones can vary so much - I only checked the Puget Sound area, but it was very...
I just turned down an opportunity to belly dance to live music by a Middle Eastern band I really like tomorrow. I almost took the offer but I really just need some down time. I have a headache. We're going out tonight for a family night thing at a friends' house. It's so hard to juggle things sometimes. This week seems to have been all about DD's stuff taking over my life. I feel like I need two weeks off. One just to decompress and another to clean my house.
That sounds really frustrating and stressful, agreenbough.     I have been super busy lately. Too busy. DD's extroversion is back now that she's no longer depressed (which is good but is something I have to strive for balance with). So we have been very active and getting out and seeing people a lot. (I would like more drop off play dates!) Strangely enough, I went to a party last Friday, just me, because we had no sitter. I almost didn't go but DH convinced to go...
If you suspect OCD, I would suggest the following two books: "Freeing Your Child From Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder" and "Freeing Your Child From Anxiety," both by Tamar Chansky. Both are excellent. The "anxiety" book has info on many anxiety disorders and red flags to check for and types of treatments, etc. It also explains how they differ. And it has some cognitive behavorial techniques you can do with your child. (CBT is very effective for OCD.) The OCD book is...