or Connect

Posts by Starflower

We're also experimenting with structure. We're adding in a little bit at a time. So far, none is even academic, although I do have Math U See and plan to start using it soon. I was going to start doing cursive with DD (7) but she liked the book and started it on her own. DD is a perfectionist and sees a therapist for anxiety. Earlier this year, she was in a depression, so we had to make some changes. The frustrating part is that while DD definitely needs structure to...
Tamar Chansky's books about OCD and her book on anxiety are both excellent. I would definitely get in to see a psychologist. If you get an accurate diagnosis, it will help your child. I have OCD which started in childhood (along with depression and panic disorder). I did not get diagnosed until I was about 20. I wish I had had help before then.   Cognitative Behavior Therapy is very effective for OCD as well as some natural treatment (such as Inositol, some amino...
Would you guys be comfortable with your DD going on a play date alone to different person's house? Or is your DH's anxiety only about Dee! If so, is only because the drop-off playdate was her suggestion? Maybe you guys can talk to Dee and let her know that you're just not comfortable with drop-off playdates yet (unless you'd do it with other people). Then you could ask Dee what is her policy on drop-offs just to get an idea of what she is thinking. Or suggest the kids...
Subbing because someday I want to garden here and we also have contamination issues and poor soil.   I am definitely going to try the potatoes in the burlap coffee bag thing. Sounds even easier than using the garbage can method I was looking into. :)   Adaline'sMama - what is the purpose of the carpet lining in the beds? Also, those beds your DH makes with the log cast-offs are really beautiful! I love the way they look compared to the traditional more finished...
Xantho - congrats on your wedding! (belated)   I had a good visit back home for the first time ever. We limited the time my brother could be at the house because the dynamic changes for the worse. He decided to leave one day early which was good for everyone. (It's complicated.) The main reason I had such a great time was because I got to see 3 old friends! One I hadn't seen in almost 15 years! (Egad, I can hardly believe I am old enough to even say that!...
Hi, I am sorry you are having such a rough time. As a mom with a history of OCD, panic disorder and depression, I really feel for you. My brother has severe bipolar I and it can be really difficult to deal with. I think you should go see someone who is more qualified to diagnose mental health issues.   As for your question about pregnancy turning on BPD: I don't know about research-based findings, but I have a cousin who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder after she...
I only had time to read the first page of this thread. Interesting.   DD is 7 and very sensitive and has anxiety. She also reads at a very high level for her age so we do discuss content of books before checking them out sometimes, but I don't think I've ever actually told her she couldn't read something. She tends to self-censor for scary content. (Some of the kids' lit is very intense stuff. She seems to be able to handle it in fantasy, but dislikes many...
We've always been really unschooly so the only breaks we've taken have been while classes or activities are on break. I just got Math U See in the mail a couple weeks ago and decided to start after we returned from a trip. Now we're back so I thought I'd start next week when DD's nature class resumes, but she's been frustrated in the past few days about not getting placement value when trying to read numbers in books, etc. (She reads at a very high level, but math...
I think these are the "right" reasons for homeschooling, especially if you are in a position to do so and your kids want to homeschool. You can act more as a facilitator than as a teacher and just help them find the information and resources they need.   We started out as homeschoolers. My DD is 7 now and we tried an alternative school last year. She was bullied by two sisters there and it manifested in behavior issues and depression. We are back to homeschooling now...
If your DH gets a job in Bellevue and you decide Bellevue isn't your favorite city, you could live in other close-in communities that seem more your style. I am on the edge of the boonies and my DH currently works in Seattle and takes the bus on days he goes into the office. He worked in Bellevue when we bought the house so the commute wasn't bad then. When DD was littler, I used to go to play areas at the mall in downtown Bellevue and I NIP'd with her until she was 3...