or Connect

Posts by Starflower

Hugs and love to you.
Secular Homeschool is good.   You can also check with your state homeschooling association.
    I agree with Dar on this one.   OP - It also sounds like you are concerned about the lack of sign-in and sign-out which I could understand. You could ask the staff to address this. Also, most museums have a PA system and they should be able to call you back to the classroom via the PA system if they needed you. If you are unsure how they would handle emergencies, I would ask them how they would handle things. Or just wait a while before signing up for a class like...
I can relate to the OP and I agree with the above statement from journeymom. I had major issues with my dad growing up and I did a lot of therapy to get through them. I actually can deal him pretty well now - which is amazing since I was going to cut off contact with him completely about 12 years ago. (I have to give him very specific limits.)   But I have noticed that my relationship with my mother has become a bit of a roller coaster ever since my pregnancy. Each time...
We just got Math U See in the mail but we'll start after we get back from a week at Grandma's house. Interesting to see what everyone is up to since trying a curriculum is completely new to us.
Subbing. What a great thread! I read the Aldort book and found it lacking in follow through.   I really like the Kurcinka books - all of them but the Power Stuggle one is my favorite - I found it even more helpful than the Spirited Child book.   "Playful Parenting" is excellent and my DD responds very well to this type of interaction, however, it is exhausting to use playfulness with her all the time. It did help me to branch out in ways of interacting playfully...
With strangers and shopkeeper types just say you are homeschooling and leave it at that. We live in an area that has a lot of homeschoolers, many of them unschoolers, so we're kind of lucky. I can't even remember the last day I heard comments from shopkeeper types. We got a lot of comments and questions when DD was 4-5 (she looks a year older than she is) but rarely have anyone ask about school now that she is 7.   With family, I think you kind of have to decide how...
Separation anxiety is possible in adults - try googling and you'll find several links. I think it can be somewhat normal to experience some mild anxiety when our kids are out of our sight, but what you are describing sounds much more intense.   I would suggest seeing a therapist. I have a history of anxiety attacks and OCD and I have found therapy to be very helpful. Try to find someone who is experienced with treating anxiety disorders. You may also be able to find...
I am sorry that your family reacted that way. That is just sick - especially when your mom actually witnessed some of the abuse. Makes me mad just reading about it.   I am glad you are getting a fresh start. I also agree with others that therapy can be very helpful. Many therapists will work with people on a sliding scale basis.  Or you could also try finding a therapist through family services.   I wish you healing and :Hug
Welcome, Neuromancer :wave Glad you found us. Sorry to hear Thanksgiving was hard for you.   I had a wonderful social day yesterday with some new friends. We seem to have a fair amount in common with them, all the family members got along and the kids even play together well so DD has some new playmates. We all had a great time. But man, am I a grouch today. Part of it is pain but a lot of it because I just haven't had any time to myself. I've had extra time with DD...