or Connect

Posts by Earthy Birthy

Loved is right on about the charts. The NARM was definitely not what I expected. It was a lot more subjective than I thought it would be. So many situations in midwifery require the midwife to have a very good understanding of her client, and I felt like some of the questions did not give enough background information. But that is just my opinion. The CIB gives you a pretty good outline of what to study, just make sure that you have studied several different...
I really never even thought about this until I read this thread. I usually wear scrub pants and a t-shirt, but I'm one of those who always ends up with some sort of bodily fluid on me, also. I have been at a couple of births that were so messy that I had to throw away a set of clothes. One was a water birth in which the mama had filled an AquaDoula with WAY too much water. She labored so quickly that we didn't have enough time to get some of the water out, and then the...
I completed my training using the PEP process also. I think that it is a wonderful way to train, especially if you have a really great preceptor/preceptors. The midwife that I trained with has been catching babies for over 20 years and she encouraged me to be very hands-on from the beginning. I think that it really helped me to be able to visualize and remember the steps to deal with certain situations. It is one thing to read about a shoulder dystocia in a book, but it is...
Quote: Originally Posted by KittyKat There are just too many harmful interventions, plus the risk of infection from all the sick people and unfamiliar germs. Hospitals are for sick people. I am not sick, my baby is not sick. Unless we GET Sick we are staying home! Yea KittyKat! Very well stated. I once heard a fellow midwife say, "Germs don't know not to get off on the maternity floor." At home, at least the germs that are there are your OWN...
I eat eggs/milk products, but I still have a hard time getting 80 grams also. With my first two pregnancies, I ended up with PIH and on bedrest , and it wasn't until I began studying midwifery that I really understood just how important protein is. With my last pregnancy, I drank a Jay Robb's Whey Protein shake every morning (24 grams/serving) and tried to eat protein-rich foods all day, such as peanut butter, nuts, yogurt, cheese, eggs, beans, etc. Just try to get as...