or Connect

Posts by youngnhappymamma

Sounds like normal frustration to me. I've had a few kids who got this frustrated at this early of an age. I would just scoop them up, say "I know you're soooo frustrated!" and try and move on....I had one dd who really just needed to bite she was so frustrated, so I would give her a pillow to bite and kind of show her, in a comical way, how to bite the pillow (always with sound affects) and after a few times of her wanting to bite me, she would giggle and run to a...
I make my own mac n cheese using whole wheat pasta and a simple cheese sauce (heat butter and flour on stove, use a wire wisk to wisk in some milk, salt and pepper and various cheese, etc) The kids were resistant to it at first, but now that we never have the processed stuff, they are warming up to it. I also stopped buying chicken nuggets and instead bread my own chicken and brown it in a pan with a little bit of olive oil. With ketchup, they love it more than the...
If the sleeping situation is not working for you anymore, feel free to change it! My 4 year old dd still comes into our bed sometimes. I tell her, during the day, "I need you to sleep in your own bed" so she knows ahead of time that if/when she comes in to our room that night, I will direct her back to her own bed. Sometimes I don't mind if she sleeps on our floor next to our bed or something, but mostly when I need my space I have her go back to her bed. And she's...
the key, I think, is follow-through. If I ask my child to do something or not do something they know, for the most part, that I will follow-through with what I have asked them. For example, if I ask my child to pick up the half-eaten peice of food she just chucked on the floor because she didn't want it anymore and she ignores me, I will gently "help" her to pick it up and dispose of it properly. It's not really a punishment, it's that I mean what I say and I expect you...
I'm sorry you are in this situation. If it were me, I would call and report him as suicidal anytime he threatened suicide. (not sure of the laws in Belgium, but here he would be commited for 36 hours or something) You would know he's in a safe place where he could start getting the help he needs in the hospital, or maybe it would help him to see that maybe he is not really suicidal, just frustrated and needs to learn some new coping tools...or maybe, if it is a...
if it were me, I would just make it about "no standing on our chairs" instead of about the chandelier. If they stood on their seat, they didn't get to sit in it or some other consequence you feel comfortable with. And, maybe they are too big for their boosters now and don't need them...can they reach the chandelier without a booster?
Some activities we do: take a short walk (even in very cold temperatures) and gather some nature to bring home and play with, etc go to the mall for mom to mall walk while child rides in stroller with a snack or two and then play at the mall play place/toy store for 1/2 an hour go for a drive play with flour at the table play with colored rice on a sheet/blanket on the floor (use some food coloring in a bit of rubbing alcohol to color a large bowl full of...
I agree that expecting a 1 year old to obey every time (and remeber the things he is supposed to leave alone, etc) is not realistic. If I were you, I would set up the laptop in a more permanant place where it could be completley baby-proofed...I put a milk crate over our computer's power source and then thread the plugs through the holes in the crate so my 1 year old can't get to them. I have the computer up where he can't reach it. The keyboard is in a drawer he can't...
Thanks for the suggestions and taking the time to respond! I knew about Jana Flesher, but was hoping to find someone who delivered at Memorial North (from what I've heard, they have the best hospital policies for non-intervention birth and after-care of the newborn...do you know?) Dr. Hovenga sounds cool (just read the bio she wrote on her site), but from what I can gather she delivers at Memorial central.
I am 32 weeks and having to find a new care provider. I was seeing Sharon Ruyak, but we had a falling out and now I need a new care provider. I would just have another homebirth, but we switched insurance and now insurance won't cover it, so that is not an option and I am very sad about it. I need to deliver at either Memorial North or the new Penrose/St. Francis hosptial on Woodmen (since that is the area we live in)....any suggestions? Thanks!