or Connect

Posts by shtepmama

I agree so much in spirit. And yet, in practice here it just hasn't worked that way for us. I'm very strict with our three year old, and as a consequence he mostly listens (well, he's 3 ;)), and has thus earned a pretty impressive level of trust and respect for his growing autonomy. (Ex: I know he'll listen to me when I tell him a pot is hot, and so he's allowed to stir dinner with supervision; I know he's gentle and respectful with items, so he's allowed to play games...
Thanks again, and me too. :)   It's really strange in some ways being a mom and a stepmom (as I'm sure everyone on here knows) -- I'm so clear on how to parent my own child, and just less so when it comes to my SSs, because they move between two very different households with different expectations and experiences. I guess we all just learn and adjust as we go. :)
You're right, and thanks for saying it. I'll look for a counselor, and keep step-momming. He really is a wonderful kid.
Thank you for replying!   It's good to hear that it's not definitely wrong for me to step in. :) I just have to figure out how to balance helping him with not offending his mom. (Our last big family-cooperation speedbump, really, was about her objecting to my being motherly towards him.)   With that in mind, I'm not sure how to pull off counseling, although I agree it would more than likely help him. He doesn't act out quite as much at Mom's house -- my aunt, who...
Trying hard to come up with a plan for dealing with my very sweet and unbelievably difficult 4 year old stepson.   Background: I've been in his life since the beginning. (His parents split right around birth.) He is the youngest of their two, and my DH and I have a son together who is younger. We have the older two half+ of every week, and manage schools, dr stuff, etc. Our relationship with Ex-W is very cordial (after lots of work), and we do our best to attend...