or Connect

Posts by SplashingPuddle

I just realized that I identify as a feminist homeschooler but for a lot of people that sounds like an oxymoron. So it occurred to me to ask if others also identify as feminist homeschoolers? If so, what makes you a feminist homeschooler? Do you have "traditional gender roles" in your family, and if so how do you make sense of traditional gender roles in relation to being a feminist?
Thank-you everyone for your responses.  I am thinking about these questions a lot lately, as I prepare to homeschool officially in the fall.  Yet, as others have said, we are already home learners, and I am unsure if I will follow any developed curriculum.  I am wavering between Oak meadow and project-based learning.    I have talked to non-queer homeschoolers in my community, and given that I do not know any queer parents, I am doubtful that there are any queer...
I am wondering if there are other queer homeschoolers out there? I know there is a homeschooling thread under education, but I would especially like to connect with queer homeschoolers.    My partner and I have two children, and the oldest is going to start homeschooling in September for kindergarden.  We do not know lesbian parents in our community, let alone other lesbian homeschooling parents.  I am wondering how other lesbian families homeschool?  In heterosexual...
My first child didn't eat much solid foods before a year, but I didn't really encourage it either.  I also was up a lot at night to provide milk which she wouldn't really drink in the day.  Unfortunately, I was exhausted and realized I needed to do things differently with my second child.   Now my 9 month old eats a lot of solid food - everything I eat in fact.  And she sleeps through the night.  I still breast feed her, 5-6 times a day but only 4 of those feedings are...
I am looking to find a balance between days spent entirely at home (including outdoors close to home) compared to days away from home (play dates, library, classes etc).  I am wondering how many home days other homeschoolers have?  We aim for 3 days entirely at home, but often end up with only 2 days.  However, I think we all seem more grounded when we have 3 days at home.  I am curious what happens in other homeschooling families?
revolting - I am interested in how you get your 3-year old to stay outside by himself?  I rarely get to go to the washroom by myself these days without an audience.  And how long will your 3-year old play outside by himself?  Do you have a way of watching him without being with him? Any suggestions would be appreciated
My oldest will also be four soon and I have a 6 month old too. For us, it works to try and be firm yet kind with our oldest. I start to put oldest to bed at 6:30pm, very quick process. No bath since it makes her more energetic. Story, back scratch. (nursing her is only allowed in morning).  But then I promise to check on her - this proved to be key for us. So while I am doing something else, possibly putting down the baby, who goes to bed for 7pm.  I regularly check in...
I did hypnobabies, self-study course.  My birth was so quick and easy that it really caught me off-guard and I was a bit scared by the speed (DD born 11 minutes after calling midwife).  I'd only had 2 strong contractions before I called the midwife.  I don't know if this had anything to do with hypnobabies and ironically I didn't even really use hypnobabies during those 11 minutes. I just pushed in to try and keep her inside until the midwife got there. I've never even...
I am often surprised how differently I am parenting my second baby, who is now 6 months. I wear her a lot less, because I am more tired, but also because I own a high chair this time around and it is a great place for her to observe me at work in the kitchen (and save my back).  Because I cannot always respond as quickly, she cries more (for a few minutes sometimes), but also has so many more self-soothing abilities. She can entertain herself happily in her crib and fall...
I know this is a hard time in most households, but really what do you do with your child/toddler in the hour before dinner?  I have a 3 year old and a baby, and I put my baby in a high chair to protect her from our 3-year old's antics.    We don't do screen time but boy would this time of the day be an argument for starting!  What works in your house?    Sometimes I turn on the radio and we dance as I cook, but often I am too tired for it, plus it ramps up the energy,...