or Connect

Posts by SplashingPuddle

Thank-you everyone for your responses.  I am thinking about these questions a lot lately, as I prepare to homeschool officially in the fall.  Yet, as others have said, we are already home learners, and I am unsure if I will follow any developed curriculum.  I am wavering between Oak meadow and project-based learning.    I have talked to non-queer homeschoolers in my community, and given that I do not know any queer parents, I am doubtful that there are any queer...
I am wondering if there are other queer homeschoolers out there? I know there is a homeschooling thread under education, but I would especially like to connect with queer homeschoolers.    My partner and I have two children, and the oldest is going to start homeschooling in September for kindergarden.  We do not know lesbian parents in our community, let alone other lesbian homeschooling parents.  I am wondering how other lesbian families homeschool?  In heterosexual...
My first child didn't eat much solid foods before a year, but I didn't really encourage it either.  I also was up a lot at night to provide milk which she wouldn't really drink in the day.  Unfortunately, I was exhausted and realized I needed to do things differently with my second child.   Now my 9 month old eats a lot of solid food - everything I eat in fact.  And she sleeps through the night.  I still breast feed her, 5-6 times a day but only 4 of those feedings are...
I am looking to find a balance between days spent entirely at home (including outdoors close to home) compared to days away from home (play dates, library, classes etc).  I am wondering how many home days other homeschoolers have?  We aim for 3 days entirely at home, but often end up with only 2 days.  However, I think we all seem more grounded when we have 3 days at home.  I am curious what happens in other homeschooling families?
revolting - I am interested in how you get your 3-year old to stay outside by himself?  I rarely get to go to the washroom by myself these days without an audience.  And how long will your 3-year old play outside by himself?  Do you have a way of watching him without being with him? Any suggestions would be appreciated
My oldest will also be four soon and I have a 6 month old too. For us, it works to try and be firm yet kind with our oldest. I start to put oldest to bed at 6:30pm, very quick process. No bath since it makes her more energetic. Story, back scratch. (nursing her is only allowed in morning).  But then I promise to check on her - this proved to be key for us. So while I am doing something else, possibly putting down the baby, who goes to bed for 7pm.  I regularly check in...
I did hypnobabies, self-study course.  My birth was so quick and easy that it really caught me off-guard and I was a bit scared by the speed (DD born 11 minutes after calling midwife).  I'd only had 2 strong contractions before I called the midwife.  I don't know if this had anything to do with hypnobabies and ironically I didn't even really use hypnobabies during those 11 minutes. I just pushed in to try and keep her inside until the midwife got there. I've never even...
I am often surprised how differently I am parenting my second baby, who is now 6 months. I wear her a lot less, because I am more tired, but also because I own a high chair this time around and it is a great place for her to observe me at work in the kitchen (and save my back).  Because I cannot always respond as quickly, she cries more (for a few minutes sometimes), but also has so many more self-soothing abilities. She can entertain herself happily in her crib and fall...
I know this is a hard time in most households, but really what do you do with your child/toddler in the hour before dinner?  I have a 3 year old and a baby, and I put my baby in a high chair to protect her from our 3-year old's antics.    We don't do screen time but boy would this time of the day be an argument for starting!  What works in your house?    Sometimes I turn on the radio and we dance as I cook, but often I am too tired for it, plus it ramps up the energy,...
I really believe in outdoor play time, but I struggle to give my 3 year old more than 1 hour/ day on average.  1/2 hour on really icky weather days.  Some days we do special days where we spent tons of time outside, but on a general around-the-house kind of day, it seems strangely difficult.    How much outdoor time do you give children (at the age when you still need to be outside with them)?  What activities do you do outdoors together?  Our winters are typically cold,...