or Connect

Posts by SplashingPuddle

We have arranged for a volunteer doula to be present with our toddler at our birth. I am a bit unsure though because I know she will want my partner and me.  So I am wondering if my partner will end up with my toddler and I'll end up with the doula.  That is not how I want things to go though. I am hoping to think of some longer fun activities for them to do together - like baking maybe or cleaning the fish tank. Still my last labour was 25 hours so I am unsure how a...
I had almost the exact opposite challenge in labour. I did not learn a particular method and I wish I had.  Instead, I tried to go with what seemed natural. I'd read Birthing from Within and Ina May's books etc. I tried to go with the flow but in the moment, I could remember any of the techniques I had learned, and I felt lost without a method to fall back on.  Now I am trying hypnobabies. I am hoping the combination of a method to fall back on and a variety of options...
I gained over 60lbs the first time but stopped counting part way.  My daughter was 7lbs12oz and I didnt have much trouble losing weight.  This time I am up 40lbs so far at 23 weeks.  My goal is about 60lbs again, which feels like a good amount to me. 
I usually approach this type of situation with curiosity.  I might say something like "How are you feeling about the induction?" or "How are you feeling about the doctor's suggestions?" I would let the other person lead the discussion afterwards, and I would provide my own thoughts if asked or if the person was feeling uncomfortable with the induction but didn't see any other options.  I would acknowledge that it is a hard decision to make, regardless of what conclusion...
I associate birth with cravings so its hard to predict what would appeal to others. For me, I suddenly craved grape juice.  No other juice would do, and I had had no similar craving for grape juice in pregnancy.  
I am 23 weeks along after having done IVF this summer. My first daughter was conceived through IVF a couple years ago.  As I talk to more and more people about my pregnancy, I am getting asked if we did IVF.  Although I wasn't reluctant to say so last time, I am feeling less willing to discuss our exact conception.  How do others handle this?  Do you mind telling others? And if you wish to avoid it, do you have a polite way of responding.     The one thing I do like...
Sometimes my due date feels so far away and other times it is very fast.  I start a difficult semester soon which ends in April. So I can't believe how much school work needs to get down before the baby. 
I accept that my daughter likes to touch her genitals - it makes sense to me.  If we're at home, I usually pay no attention.  If its public, I use mild distraction.  
For my daughter I've used liquid melatonin, and a herbal tincture of camomile.  I've also used Benadryl when desperate, especially if travelling.  Some of my daughter's struggles were related to food sensitivities too I think and we made a lot of diet modifications.  Yet, with time I also became firmer that she needed to stay in bed.  A gate prevents her from physically coming to where I am.  If she cries at the gate, I wait a bit, then tell her she needs to go back to...
During my first pregnancy with my daughter I was so emotional. And every night at the same time I would cry (like clock-work but not due to any particular one thing).  I was taking lots of supplements/teas/fish oil etc too.  This time I am not nearly so emotional. Pregnancy is so mysterious. I am not taking any supplements (I don't think that is the answer though - it's just that I am more relaxed, tired and unmotivated so I don't take them).  The one thing I am doing...