or Connect

Posts by SplashingPuddle

During my first pregnancy with my daughter I was so emotional. And every night at the same time I would cry (like clock-work but not due to any particular one thing).  I was taking lots of supplements/teas/fish oil etc too.  This time I am not nearly so emotional. Pregnancy is so mysterious. I am not taking any supplements (I don't think that is the answer though - it's just that I am more relaxed, tired and unmotivated so I don't take them).  The one thing I am doing...
We do not use soap for our daughter because of skin concerns.  Warm water and a cloth in a tub usually work great. We didn't use shampoo for the first year or so either and her hair was never greasy and it always smelled great.  
I don't really mind comments on size. I was so small last time that sometimes even right before birth I could pass as not pregnant.  Now with this one, I am large from the beginning and have already gained 40lbs at 22 weeks. Despite that somehow the comments don't bother me.  I always assume that they reflect far more on the person and their own concerns/issues around size/weight. I think a lot of comments are also a drive to connect because birth is so amazing and...
I love real trees but I have a fake one from when I was a student 13 years ago.  So now that I have the fake tree I figure I might as well use it since it already exists. I would love to switch to real ones but I would feel guilty. If this one ever breaks, I will love the smell and feel of a real tree. That said, we heat by wood, so I have a lot of opportunities to smell/feel trees.
pek64  I'd be interested in some of the research you mentioned around swaddling and distress. Do you have a source/journal article link etc?  I've only heard positive things about swaddling but I am very interested in other research.
When we finally switched to me doing most of the nights (around 1 month), I would be on until 5am and then pump. Then my partner would have our daughter for a few hours every morning. Usually, the main factor would be that my breasts would get so large and painful that it would wake me up. So even pumping only gave me a couple hours. Then around 6 months we switched to me being on until 2am and then my partner's turn for the rest of the night. If our daughter needed...
We divided diapering equally because we each work part-time and co-parent. We tried to divide breast-feeding at first but I just had a lot more milk so it was easier for me. With the next one though, I want to do more of the night time care so that my partner will be more awake in the day. Last time we both started being awake at night with our duaghter but then we were both exhausted in the day. Although I completely believe in equal co-parenting, I think it makes sense...
I am getting nose bleeds all the time now.  During my first pregnancy I had them daily and I was really hoping that was not going to be the case this time... until 3 weeks ago and now they are back. Luckily they magically vanished once I gave birth.  
I love the photos Ranae.  I am 20 weeks now and feel/look like I did around 6 months last time. Part of it is exciting, but I also am missing how easy it used to be to role over in bed.
The weekend?  I work weekends so that my partner works weekdays. That said, I really enjoy work. It is definitely a nice break, which has the benefit of making me appreciate home too. I remember when I first started working how strange it was to interact with people who didn't know that I had a baby.  My baby was everything in my world and it seemed inconceivable that someone would not know about it.  Now I enjoy the ability to have different roles.  But a full mat leave...