or Connect

Posts by AlaskAnne

pick me! ;)
Love the belly pics!  The bumps are so cute!  Wish I had something to contribute but there is seriously no point in me taking a picture because nothing has changed!  I'm still wearing all my pants just fine! Just went for my second prenatal appointment today at 15w4d and she said my uterus is the size of a cantaloupe.  Seriously, a cantaloupe?!  How the hell can a cantaloupe fit inside of me without poking out?  Maybe this is why my lower back is hurting...hmm...
I guess I can answer both of these!   LOVE mexican food, mostly when I make it myself.  One of my specialities is fried halibut tacos with homemade pico de gallo, avocado, and cilantro-jalepeno mayo.....yumm, I want some right now.   I currently work full time at a small non-profit doing renewable energy advocacy and education. It is a very rewarding job and I work with fantastic people.  I will continue to work after the baby is born (after two months of paid...
This is my first pregnancy and right now I am leaning pretty heavily towards not getting one unless my MW thinks it is medically necessary.  We got the doppler at 11 weeks to hear the heartbeat and I think that is enough.   Mamaharrison - thanks for posting that link.  I think it is kind of unbelievable how so many docs are pushing this as a routine procedure when the AMA doesn't even recommend it.     The other reason that pushes me away from the ultrasound is...
Thanks EVERYONE for all of the comments and perspectives.  I'm going to talk with my MW about it when I see her next week.   esp - We're going to be in southcentral/west Washington for a wedding.  I grew up in Washington near Olympia where my parents still live and lived in Seattle for undergrad and Eugene, OR for grad school.  I LOVE the northwest.  However, I'm thinking that visits to wineries won't be near as much fun while pregnant.  Bummer.  
I agree with hotsauce, lentils are awesome!  Try lentils and rice or rice and beans - those combinations provide complete protein, are pretty much one of the cheapest meals you can make, AND are easy and make good leftovers. Plus there are endless varieties you can make using different spices/sauces/etc.   A recipe I make a lot is a version of this called Kichiri - http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=522340   I use brown rice so it take a bit...
We're going down to visit family in Washington and Oregon at the end of July and my mom is worried and thinks I should talk to my provider about a whooping cough vaccine (probably just a booster) because there is an epidemic happening down there right now.    Have any of you had that vaccine during pregnancy, or other vaccines?  What is the general feeling about this?     I'm not one who usually ever get the flu vaccines so I'm kind of wary about doing it in...
I'm so sorry segolily!  This does not sounds like something that I will look forward to...   On the topic of aches and pains and pregnancy changes, is it normal to be feeling shortness of breath a couple different times a day at this point?  I'm just shy of 14 weeks.... It's not debilitating, but I definitely notice it!
purposefuldoula - I love the soakers and booties!  I'm still a novice knitter so I usually stick to easy projects or short projects.  But I think those booties might just be doable...   Usually I sent all the cool ideas to my mom - she's a knitting whiz, and retired so she has tons of time.  By the time December comes the baby will literally have an arsenal of sweaters.  By the time I was 10 weeks I'd already received two sweaters!   Mostly I've been sewing for...
Hi Alaska moms!   Thought I would introduce myself here since it seems to be the most recent Alaska thread.     I'm 30yo, live in Anchorage with my husband, and we're expecting our first baby in December.  We're working with the midwives at Geneva Woods and overall are just very excited about this baby.  We're both committed to keeping it simple and acquiring as little unnecessary items as possible, and getting most things used.  I'd love to hear anyone's...