or Connect

Posts by liawbh

Quote: Originally Posted by Henry's Mom My ds would love the laughing carrots! Anyone have any (cheaper!) yarn suggestions? Must be soft, cotton fleece? Thanks! NOt sure how well cotton would work for that pattern, as it's not very elastic. But Elann.com has Pachuko organic colorgrown cotton for really cheap.
Every time I log in here, I start crying. Ugh. It's all so fast. WOmbat, I think a collection of posts is a great idea. Any funny or sweet anecdotes she posted. Maybe we could get it made into one of those hardbound books like the online phot sites sell.
May you find comfort and peace in the comfort of your home, the arms of your family, and the hearts of all that are praying for you around the world.
Quote: Originally Posted by Maeve Are there any auctions or anything being set up to raise money? I could donate some knitted items to help raise money. Same here.
Unfortunatly, most natural dyes require heavy metal mordants, which are pretty toxic themselves. Tea and coffee don't need mordants. I think turmeric also. If you do go with a mordant, the safest is alum. You can order it from a natural dye supplier, or just get the kind in the bulk spice section (some pickle recipes use it). Oh, just remembered, you can also try using a cast iron pan or some nails in the dye pot as a mordant. The iron will affect the color of the...
I've used Daisy disposable razors for shaving fuzzies and pills. I bought the cheap battery shaver from Joanns, and it's pretty useless, except for trimming the mohair halo on felted lamb's pride.
I would stick to one of the worsted weight 100% wools. Both alpace and camel stretch out easily, and they don't have the same absorbency, lanolin, and antibacterial properties that make wool so effective for diapering.
I think you could steam set the dye. In a roasting pan in the oven, or in a steamer on the stove. If you're dyeing the fleece first, you can do it in a pot or crockpot.
I think you need stronger soap than Eucalan. You can use Dawn, or Kookabura Wool Scour, etc. There are some good tutorials online. You can dye the washed fiber with acid dyes, Koolaid, or food dye and vinegar. I would dye it before making balls.
It's so funny, I was at work (the LYS) and the master knitter that teaches there was talking about mohair, insulating fibers, etc., then came home and saw this thread!