or Connect

Posts by Mama Jemma

I'm afraid I don't know anything about the Waldorf schools. ISK is good, though. A lot if it depends where you'll be living. The traffic is so, so awful here, and you really have to put the kids in a school fairly close to home or they could lose two hours a day or more to sitting in th car going to and from school. What part of town will you be in, do you know?
Wow everyone, huge thanks for all the comments! So helpful. She's 5 weeks today and I'm still pumping....still producing only a tiny amount....and she still won't insider nursing. It's discouraging, but I'm going to stick with it as long as I can and see if my supply will increase. I did make contact with a lactation consultant who teaches supplemental nursing devices, so maybe she can help me. In the meantime my baby is a fantastic eater on formula and she is thriving....
Great advice all! Thank you. Jemma does seem to be responding really well to being on her belly, either on my thigh when I'm sitting or on my arm when I'm standing, when she's dealing with the gas. I think the idea of moving her legs is interesting too, I'll try that. The reason I've watered down her formula a little is because I'm in Africa, where formula is made much thicker. Thisis because most formula fed babies here are in situations with lack of access to clean...
Wow, this is amazing! All these years I've been down on myself for being inconsistent, for hating to work for anyone else, for insisting on flexibility and independence in my life, etc etc....and I never knew to simply say, "of course I feel this way, I'm an unjobber!" I'm so glad to finally have a term for myself! My 20s were a series of simultaneous part time jobs ( I could never bear one 40 hour week job, I always preferred two or three 20s), in everything from...
Hi moms. I'm a 35 yo American who has livd in nbi since 2008 . Just found this thread an I'm wondering how it has worked out for the OP n others who mentioned moving here. How have your Kenya experiences been? I'm currently adapting to the unplanned adoption of a baby born to a 14yo mom in Mathare. And making plans to marry my long time Kenyan boyfriend at last. So I can say that Kenya has been full of surprises! But I love living here and see myself staying awhile. If I...
DH and I def have cultural issues in our relationship, but I find they tend to be small. He hates when I Disagree with him in front of the kids.....stuff like that which, as has been said, could occur just due to family differences even if we were both from the same culture. I like the way we are challenged by our different backgrounds (I am white American, he's a black African, and we life in Africa) to expand our world views and think outside our comfort zones. As a...
My baby is 3 weeks old tomorrow and just in the past two days she has started freaking out a little while after eating. She screams and writhes for a couple minutes, then settles and sleeps, then wakes and screams, then settles and sleeps (with me walking her to sleep each time, of course). I can feel her farting through her diaper, so I figure it must be gas. She's not my bio baby, so she's formula fed. I have begun watering down her formula some to prevent constipation...
So, so many things could be behind this. There's no one size fits all answer to GI problems. I agree with sbgrace, the tests are a great idea, especially celiac. But these things can be so elusive, and your chances of pinning down one specific cause can be small. Doctors usually say ibs or something generic like that. The intestines are the source of our immune resistance and they are super complex and it's often difficult to get to the root of things. The gluten and...
For what it's worth....I live in Kenya and DH works for a maternal and infant health program in nairobi's slums. HIV moms are encouraged to breast feed unil 6 months, then wean quickly over the course of one week. This is the current WHO protocol but it changes periodically. They want moms to breast feed bc the babies need the immunities, and bc it's a virtual guarantee they'll become malnourished otherwise as poor moms can't afford formula and typically resort to cows...
Thanks ladies. My particular challenge is that, tho I'm an American, I live in kenya. So I don't think I can access domperidone here....frankly I was shocked when I found fenugreek. I'm still making a small amount of colostrum, 8 days of pumping later, so that may be all I manage. Wch is okay too. I'm looking into buying breast milk if I can....again, not sure whether this sort of practice exists here. But I'm so glad Jemma gets some colostrum at the very least. I think...