or Connect

Posts by KKsMomma

First of all, don't blame yourself for having a rotten sleeper.  Our first son was and is just the same way, never very predictable, nothing "worked' in the middle of the night. We tried all kinds of sleeping permutations. It sounds like the worst of it at the moment is that you have to nap with him the whole time when it would be nice to not do that. I remember basically the trade-off is me time for less sleep or more sleep for less me time (that is if you are able to...
I wouldn't trust your doc on this one - like the PP said, check diapers first. Them nursing will take milk from the breast, leaving little to pump afterward. Plus pumping output doesn't necessarily tell you the truth about your supply, esp if you are stressed about output while you pump! Sounds like you need help making easy food to eat and stashing it around the house (like smoothies/juice and bars of some kind). You are probably not going to get much sleep, but at least...
Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDdPf3p5eKw   Three kanga carries and one in the front w/a piece of cloth. The ones I have are a little shorter than sarongs, but a sarong would work. It helps to practice with someone around and then you can learn together how/where to tighten the fabric to support baby's bum/back and head. You can do the one with the legs tucked in before you can back carry with the Ergo or other soft structured carrier.
It sounds like you are being really conscientious about this and you putting your LO down next to you or near you instead of carrying is not all that bad. The continuum concept is a great antidote to a really cold and alien style of parenting popular in the states at the time of the book's publication. In my opinion, it is not a rigid set of rules you must follow lest you damage your attachment to your baby. It sounds like you are doing great, and giving yourself the space...
Thank you!   I just ordered 2 slings online, and so looking forward to using them. I was thinking of encouraging my 2yo to drop the nap, actually, just to get over that hurdle - is that crazy? I think he would go for it, as long as we didn't get in the car at nap time (which would make a nap inevitable).   As of posting, DS has become overall mostly gentle with the baby. We had some luck with saying "slow down" when he was getting really excited about touching him and...
Hey, y'all. I know some of you were pregnant and now have a little baby, as well as a toddler. I just had my little baby 5 weeks early (he is almost 2 weeks old) and I want to check in with those of you in the same boat. How is it going? What are you learning? What is most challenging and how are you handling it? How are you managing logistics such as:    a) Diapering for two   b) Bedtime and nap time for the toddler   c) Putting down baby for a nap when your toddler...
Yes, I would pat him until he was asleep, while leaning over the crib railing. This was uncomfortable. We would usually get 2 hours to start until he woke up. He had always been a poor sleeper. If we were staying up late, I might try to put him back down again. It is tedious, but can make time for you and your partner or "me time."
Maybe you are nesting! I am so excited I have insomnia. Then I get really tired mid-morning. I could use a nap before my 2-year-old. I just do organizing projects and read/research things and that seems to use some of the energy. A friend of mine suggested just going with the excitement/desire of nesting and do all the weird things you want to do to prepare or feel like a "ready" person. Also, you can enjoy every millisecond of free time you have and do things you just...
Just wanted to chime in again, even though our little guy is sleeping in his own bed and we do the "I'll be right back after I do (insert boring mommy thing)" he still doesn't STTN. Gets out of the covers and wants help getting them back on, needs water, then wants me to stay and the tactics don't work anymore. Any luck teaching your kid to pull covers up or find the water?
So I just wrote about what we did with DS here:   http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1395336/transitioning-from-co-sleeping   Hugs to all of you who are frustrated and losing your minds! BTDT and I still lose my mind in the daytime. I think that every kid is different, but I also think that you never know until you try something new. Like I was sure that DS wouldn't fall asleep any other way than with me lying down next to him and rubbing his legs. Then his older...