or Connect

Posts by ajmcallahan

So, a couple things are happening. I have a 17 mo old. I took her lead and gently started potty training at 13 mo when she became aware of going in her diaper and at 17 mo we are pretty much potty trained at our house. I know she is going through a major sleep regression hitting 18 mo here, but it seems that she has become uncomfortable being in a wet diaper at night? Maybe? She wakes up from 2-5am and stays that way for 1.5-2 hours. I started changing her recently because...
I just noticed a small pimple-like blister-kinda-thing on the inside of my DD's bottom lip. We have increased nursing recently due to teething and sickness, but a nursing blister??? It's not a large sized blister and looks more like a pimple. I don't get cold sores or anything like that. Any thoughts on what this could be?
I've got a 14 month old and no unassisted steps at all. She won't really even stand unassisted. She cruises and walks all the time holding my hand, but has absolutely no desire to walk by herself. The funny part is that she is such a daredevil with everything else! She climbs and pulls the most acrobatic moves to get up on high things and crazy stuff. Naturally, we thought she would be an early walker because she has no fear of anything, but no walking. She has also been...
I have similar frustrations with my LO from time to time. Here are strategies that helped me. I should also mention that we did BLW (no spoon feeding/purees) and she is a champ at signing, so that has immensely helped with communication.    1. I only give very few bites at a time, like 2 pieces of food. If I put a lot in front of her she gets overloaded and either starts dropping food on the floor or "cleans up" and starts wiping her mat in front of her. So start...
I have a persistent diaper rash problem. I'm not sure it's diaper related but it seems that way and hoping for some expert diaper opinions :)   10 mo DD has had a persistent diaper rash that keeps coming back no matter what. It is mainly on her legs where her diaper rubs against her legs. It gets very red and dry/irritated. But it also creeps into her diaper area too. It is not yeast. No matter what I try, coconut oil, nystatin, zinc oxide (multiple brands), butt...
Ditch the paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins and dish towels get any job done. We use recycled paper grocery bags to put our bacon on, if you're wondering :)
I had a planned homebirth that came too early and had to do an emergency hospital birth. I was able to birth naturally and at my pace. We had a wonderful CNM and nurse who were amazing advocates for me and I just met them. The only thing I had to "give in" on was an IV of penicilin as I didn't have a confirmed negative strep-b test. So it was me getting the antibiotics or the baby having lots more tests done...it was an easy choice for me. BUT the one phrase that I...
While I definitely agree with what the previous two posters said about the benefits outweighing the risks, IMHO, the hearing tests are not that great. First of all, it has to be dead silent and the little ear pieces have to be on just right. In other words, there are lots of things that can generate a false fail. We had to take the hearing test over 5 times. I knew my DD could hear me, but we kept going back to get the official "pass" and really wish I would have just...
Thank you, thank you. I so very much appreciate your thoughts and advice. I definitely know this pacifier problem is my own problem...I think I feel like a bad mama because she needs one and I know I can't be there for her when at work :( Oh the guilt of a working mama. Thank you for reassuring the use of pacifier. And for the tip of g'ma feeding her.  
Desperately in need of help/advice/reassurance about pacifier/nap cycle. My DD is 5 months old. She has always been a finicky napper, but sleeps great at night. I went back to work at 3/4 months and she stays with g'ma 2-3 days and DH 2-3 days. She takes the bottle fine and never has a problem transitioning back to breast, in fact she can't wait to get back to breast. So no nipple confusion.   We introduced a pacifier pretty early on, but really only use when all...